Spring Regatta NOR April 10th and 11th

Started by Leigh Ann, March 24, 2010, 05:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DollFin

So is non-spin officially dead, or are we still hoping for last-minute hold outs?  Unfortunately, going spin is not an option for Big D at this time. :(

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

George E Cushing

Kevin,

Thanks for pointing out my punctuation error. I should not type in bed, or without my glasses. I now see that I hit the period instead of the comma. The sentence should read ?It is hard to know if the non-spin fleet is not interested, or if it is being killed off by the club's officer?s decision not to offer W/L racing for non-spin.? I don?t think that is harsh, I think it asks a legitimate question.
For the full context of this discussion see Frostbite Regatta - 20-21 Feb ? 1 2 ? The dialogue in that thread covers the topic pretty well.

?So George, are you saying that if the course is not a W/L, the non-spin fleet will not sail??

I should point out that I only speak for myself regarding non-spin and W/L opportunities. Scott, I am only asking for advance notice, preferably in the NOR, of what is being offered so I can make a choice. I am also registering my hopes that there will be non-spin W/L options at regattas for the reasons put forth in the Frostbite Regatta thread.

I am happy to be a member of GBCA and have a deep appreciation for all the organization offers, and an even deeper respect for efforts of the board, volunteers, and the race committee.

Regards,

George

Leigh Ann

Congratulations to Tom Sutton for winning the $50 West Marine Gift Certificate at the Skipper's meeting tonight.

B Sailing/Alan Bates

Did I see that the Sailing Instructions were to be posted online?  I missed the Skipper's meeting due to that already mentioned task of caring for children.
Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.

Leigh Ann

Sailing Instructions are online. There is a link on the NOR, or follow this link.....

Sailing Instructions
Sailing instructions will be available at the GBCA office after 1900 Friday, April 9th and at http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubs/gbca.html.

Sailaway

Andrew

Thanks John, particularly for shots 316-326! Good times.

Charles

Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

El Diablo

Cruising Non-spin Main only Division:
1. Island Time

Cruising Non-spin Bare poles Motor Division:
1. Changing Channels

Cruising Non-spin Shorthanded Long-arm-of-the-Law Division:
1. Guardabosques

?Force shites upon Reason's Back.?
-Ben Franklin

Quest

Those of us that were on Island Time want to thank all of our competition and the R/C for a fun, wet, cold race.

At least we never ran out of beer, even after that long delay to wait on the weather forecasters to catch up with the actual weather.

Sailaway

Got another 800 or so out there.

Day 1 ends at 0884 and day 2 starts at 0885.  Will get the rest loaded tonight.

m/v Tramp

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/

STuma

Quote from: GCushing on April 09, 2010, 03:42:46 PM
Kevin,

Thanks for pointing out my punctuation error. I should not type in bed, or without my glasses. I now see that I hit the period instead of the comma. The sentence should read ?It is hard to know if the non-spin fleet is not interested, or if it is being killed off by the club's officer?s decision not to offer W/L racing for non-spin.? I don?t think that is harsh, I think it asks a legitimate question.
For the full context of this discussion see Frostbite Regatta - 20-21 Feb ? 1 2 ? The dialogue in that thread covers the topic pretty well.

?So George, are you saying that if the course is not a W/L, the non-spin fleet will not sail??

catI should point out that I only speak for myself regarding non-spin and W/L opportunities. Scott, I am only asking for advance notice, preferably in the NOR, of what is being offered so I can make a choice. I am also registering my hopes that there will be non-spin W/L options at regattas for the reasons put forth in the Frostbite Regatta thread.

I am happy to be a member of GBCA and have a deep appreciation for all the organization offers, and an even deeper respect for efforts of the board, volunteers, and the race committee.

Regards,

George

Goeorge,
  I hope that the non-spin fleet expresses their wants to the race committees, and the clubs as well... The non-spin fleet is the basis and the core of all clubs... With out that fleet present, most of us would not be here... We need to focus on taking care of this fleet and even taking a step back and help explaining some of the minor details of racing... Maybe there can be a Friday night seminar, onece a month at GBCA to give some basic information, nothing technical at all... Maybe do a Q/A session with some of our local talent... Do you think the fleet would be interested in that?

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

Quest

You know,  the n/s fleet this weekend could simply be a case of overload and people just needing a short break.  We had the Elissa two weeks ago, which had a good n/s fleet, Wed nights started last week (9 n/s boats and many of the same people) and heald bank is next week, which also has a good n/s fleet registered.   Sabani was also still getting new furler parts installed and wasn't quite ready (broke in Elissa Regatta)

I also think the earlier you sign up the more likely a few other 'maybes' are to register.  I know registering early isn't in our genes, but it might get another boat or two out if on mon/tue they login and see a fleet has already made. 

It is a great fleet with good racing even if you don't want the extra hassles of going spinnaker.

Anyway that's my .02 worth, gotta go mow yard so I can race tomorrow

Jonsey

I agree with Quest, on several points.

Registering early helps a lot - I was trying to get one of the bay regulars to bring his big new boat up to Lakefest this year and play..  he called me back and said "dude, there are only 17 boats registered"..   ya.. and there are 50 others checking the reg. list every day to see if the competition will make it worth coming out.   

Can you guess who said that?  - key word "dude"