Elissa Regatta HYC Cruising Line finish

Started by sailorjohnny, March 27, 2010, 08:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailorjohnny

I don't do this very often but I got to know what anyone else thinks about the cruising line finish line today. I've never seen a finish of a race that reguired you to finish on the wrong side of the start/finish line. I was not alone on this. S/V Astarte and I looked at each other like "WTF?". I would like to know if anyone else felt the same way that I did about the finish.

edthemainsailguy

Race Committee might do that to try to keep the starting line area open for more racing...but I'm just guessing...

DollFin

It was a bit confusing, but I remember he did say other races might be starting. Was just glad when we heard the horn toot as we crossed.  Unfortunately, we had to withdraw from today's race due to lack of crew so hope everyone else had a great time!.

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

STuma

I know what you guys are talking about.. we had to pause our start for 2 boats to finish... I think it would have been less confusing to finish at the top mark, where we all finished... 

but your right, technically the cruisers should have rounded the "pin" and finished down wind.. that would have thrown them off....

cheers...
Scott

Quest

Quote from: STuma on March 29, 2010, 11:55:36 AM
I know what you guys are talking about.. we had to pause our start for 2 boats to finish... I think it would have been less confusing to finish at the top mark, where we all finished... 

but your right, technically the cruisers should have rounded the "pin" and finished down wind.. that would have thrown them off....

Here's a copy/paste of the definition of Finish from the RRS:

Finish A boat finishes when any part of her hull, or crew or equipment in
normal position, crosses the finishing line in the direction of the course from
the last mark, either for the first time or after taking a penalty under rule 44.2
or, after correcting an error made at the finishing line, under rule 28.1.

The last mark was the High Range marker just East of HYC and the Finish line was SW(ish) from there (upwind), so it seems to me that was the correct direction.

Unless I'm missing something (which is always possible)

http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/RRS20092012with2010changes-[8222].pdf