Heald Bank (April 17-18) Registration available

Started by DwightB, April 01, 2010, 07:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DwightB

Registration for the 2010 edition of Heald Bank Offshore Race is now available.

Notice of Race:  http://www.lakewoodyachtclub.com/files/2010%20Heald%20Notice%20of%20Race1.pdf

Registration:   https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registration_form.php?regatta_id=2826

We are trying out a couple of new items with this event:

1.) Electronic waivers - all crew members should use the following link to enter their information and acceptance online:

https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registration_form.php?regatta_id=2827

2.) Competitor (boat) tracking:
     - The Harvest Moon Regatta committee will be testing a competitor tracking website during the Heald Bank race. Participation is voluntary, but will be greatly appreciated by the Race Committee. If you have a "Spot" tracking device, please provide us with a link to your public web page so we can include your boat on the race tracking web page.

- The Regatta de Amigos (Veracruz) committee will also be testing a competitor tracking system. Select competitors may be asked to carry a small transponder onboard during the race. Your cooperation and support would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.....

Dwight

Andrea

We are testing a website that uses Spot tracking devices to track the Heald Bank Regatta, to see if it will be helpful for Harvest Moon.  We have four boats so far who have provided their Spot share page links.  You will be able to follow them all on a single web page when they race Saturday night.  If any more racers want to join in, provide your Spot link when you register or email me.  If you are not racing but own a Spot with tracking, you might consider loaning it to a friend who is racing.
Thanks
Andrea
2010 HMR chair

Funk

Good Luck to those going off shore this weekend.
WHATS IT RATE

DwightB

Thanks to the competitors for their participation on Heald Bank. The electronic waivers and boat tracking seemed to be well received....if you have feedback on these please contact myself or Andrea.

Here is the link to the results:

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_regatta_results.php?regatta_id=2826&show_divisions=1

Bee

Hey Dwight

Can you get the actual finish time up?

Thanks

Bee

BJSailor

Great race.  Good conditions, good course selection.

Thanks to Dwight and the LYC RC staff!  Hopefully you got a nap Sunday afternoon :D
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Bee

I really appreciate the efforts you guys went through to do this race.  From the weather point of view this was definitely one of the best races Stinger has ever run.  Quarter Moon, moderate air, comfortable temps, clear water, and a lot of fun.  Thanks bunches.

Eric713

Great weather. Great course selection.  Where were you guys and what race were you in!  Half of the boats withdrew due to a lack of wind.  9/19 I believe.  The race commitee didn't even have a GPS so they made up their own time..Considering this was LYC..

KevinBednar

Great race Dwight. 

And great racing Larry and company, good job on the big Parrot.

Bee

Eric

Thanks for explaining why so many boats dropped out.  We on Stinger were fortunate to have perfect genoa winds the entire race.  As we motored up the channel we wonder why we did not hear many boat finishes and why  we were still hearing boats finish at 7+ AM at the dock.

Darn wind Gods do it again.  Really seems to be a strange year in the wind mix.  Hope HYC's Offshore has decent winds throughout.

Grind4Beer

Stinger was a fun ride for that race, thanks B & K!

I'm curious about where and when the wind went light on the non-spin courses, because we didn't see anything like what Sailflow predicted. I don't have the printouts at hand, but I think they called for ENE-10kt at 1400, clocking to SE-4kt by 2200, then huge 0kt hole until a NE-2kt at 0600 Sunday, and I disremember what after that.

I'd guess we saw about 10-11kts average, mostly SE but clocking to S; highs of 13-ish leaving the channel, 7-11 going to Buccanner, 9-13 going to Suchi, and mostly 8-12 going back to #5 and #11, but one light spot of 4-6 during the beginning of that leg. Tidal current was maybe a half-knot favorable going to Buccaneer, the same skewed against going to Suchi, but was sweeping in on the last leg. We fetched all three long legs, two on genoa and home with chute.

Based on the course lengths, the PHRF-NS went out-n-back to Suchi, and the Cruise-NS to Buccaneer? Suchi would have been a square beat early, Buccaneer a fetch or port-favored beat.

When and where were you NS guys when the breeze gave out? Maybe y'all found the Sailflow hole earlier than they predicted? What I've noticed is that they often get the trends in direction and velocity correct, but their timing can be off by 20+% ...

G4B

BJSailor

Quote from: KevinBednar on April 20, 2010, 09:46:48 PM
Great race Dwight. 

And great racing Larry and company, good job on the big Parrot.

Thanks Stinger for getting the Parrot Tales crew to wake up and re-hoist the chute for the last 2 miles.  You guy managed to motor (er..., sail) right up on us at 5A because we were flying the Code 0 when we should have had up the kite.  Larry B. managed to get the crew roused to do the sail change.  Although we crossed the finish a boat length ahead of you, you reeled us in from a mile or so astern on that last leg.

Well done Stinger and CREW!  Great sail!!!
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Eric713

The wind died enroute to Suchi around 1130pm.  We drifted around the platform at 130am. At 730am we were still 15 miles from the finish line.  Cheron and Cache were behind us and finally passed us motoring. Sabani finished at 726am which means we were 15 miles behind the first place boat!  We were back in the slip at 130pm Sunday..