chartering a boat for the Rum Races-need a RRS skipper

Started by thomas, April 20, 2010, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomas

We have gotten together a group of sailors (5) with little or no racing experience and we're going to charter a boat to do the Rum Races. We have already committed to the boat at least for the May 29th race #1. We need a skipper or helmsman who knows the RRS rules. The way I see it, we don't stand a chance in hell but WTF, at least we can have a good time doing the race without pissing off everyone because we don't know the rules.  Drop me a line (forethcause at gmail.com) if you'd be interested and I can give you the info. We'd like to get the boat rated between now and then. thanks...

ChrisA

Thomas,

Get all your crew to the GBCA Basic Sailboat Racing Seminar the morning of the 1st Rum Race.

jayhefty

have fun, no luffing, give plenty of room, if you screw up own it, be as intense or relaxed as you want to be. did i say have fun.  The seabreeze kicks up pretty nicely when it is hot enough to melt concrete in downtown Houston so be ready for it.

thomas

I will get everyone to the Race Seminar, hopefully.  So do I take it that we don't need someone with intimate knowledge of the RRS for these particular races?  The fella's seem pretty serious about racing, and I didn't want to piss anyone off. I'm almost to old to be fist fighting.  Actually, I may be...I just haven't had that confirmed yet.  And I just as soon not know. So we're good to go?

jayhefty

My experience with the Rum and Icicles (the last 2 years) is most of the boats stay clear of the area around channel mark 1 and 2 until a few (5 or so) minutes until their start time then they go in with gusto. (perfect practice is perfect performance) it does get trafficky.  after that, if they are ahead of you, they are winning.  You will get to know some of the more competitive crews and skippers with experience; Me personally, i bounce between a J80 and a J105 so maybe i have j colored glasses on, but as a group they are competitve with each other. There are a few National and World contender j 80 crew's here.  not to disparage the other classes i just don't run in their circles that often.
Jay

Kevin Box

Thomas,

Registration for the GBCA Basic Sailboat Racing Seminar will be online this week.  We try to match skippers to crew to boats.
There will be a place on the online entry form for you to designate whether you are looking for skipper or crew.  We will find
an experienced skipper/advisor to help you around the course

thomas

Yeah, I know there are some heavy hitters in the area.  And I'll be looking for the sign ups. Thank you. Cheers...

BJSailor

Read the rules yourself too.  Relying on a skipper who knows the rules is not as good as being familiar with them yourself.  You'll be amazed how little of that rule book you actually need to pay attention to.

Focus on Part 2.  It's only about 5 pages long.  This contains 95% of everything you need to know about the RRS.
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

thomas

I was looking online and checked out the RRS and it seemed like a lot of information to digest. I will check out what you've suggested. Thanks...

Bee

If you really get the bug, buy Dave Perry's "Understanding the Racing Rules of Sailing" and read that.

BJSailor

Quote from: thomas on April 21, 2010, 12:50:24 PM
Thank you ma'am.
Bee careful who you call "ma'am".  HE'S a crotchety old guy who will rip you a new sphincter two-ways-to-Sunday without breaking a sweat :o
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

thomas

thomas

Hey, please excuse the mistake Bee.  And I like the boat.  I was out there chasing you around here recently.  What great fun.  Cheers to you sir.