chartering a boat for the Rum Races-need a RRS skipper

Started by thomas, April 20, 2010, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

Don't listen to that old phart bjsailor.  He knows nothing.

Having been assigned a room in the women's dorm as a freshmen in college, invited to join the WAVES, WACS, WAFS, Women's League, and a number of other female entities I'm used to the Ms label.

The Bee comes from my Dad. He weight about 123 pounds when he went to his promised land (I have rarely weighed less then 210) and stood 5'4" tall.  He kind of got tired of his middle name --- Adolph and after changing it decided his nickname Bee was good enough for his son.

Used it for 68+ years now.

BJSailor

I think he meant 86 rather than 68 years ;)

Bee is one of our classics and a very talented sailor.  He's forgotten more about sailing than most of us have learned.  Take the time to cultivate his friendship.  Once he starts calling you an old phart, you've finally made the grade.
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

thomas

I saw that not many people signed up for the racing seminar, and none of them are skippers.  That sucks cause that means there'll be less people I can bum a ride from. Always thinking of myself.  I'm wondering if anyone has gone around to the bulletin boards at all the local yacht clubs and marinas and tacked up a poster/notice so that sailboaters can see them, know there is a seminar coming up, and get the word out. 

If there are funds available, it would be worth it to print notices that stand out so that people see them and wonder WTF, and go check the notice out. If the GBCA got the notices out now, early, then it would surely increase the number of folks who see them, and maybe get a few more boat owners out racing in the GBCA events. Seems like time/money well spent.

And on that note; maybe the GBCA should let boat owners/skippers go to the seminar for free; are there any email lists, or address lists that could be purchased that would have a large number of sailboat owners on the list which could then be contacted; any other ways that sailboat owners could be reached? This seminar should probably be actively marketed to local boat owners beyond just posting it on the GBCA website. Maybe that's already been done, I don't know.