TEXOMA LAKEFEST 2010 - STEALABLE IDEA!

Started by JASpithill, April 21, 2010, 09:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JASpithill

COLLEGIATE CUP RESULTS POSTED!

Denison, TX (April 21, 2010) ? Approximately 20 collegiate sailors from Texas and Oklahoma came to Lakefest 2010 to participate in the inaugural Lakefest Collegiate Cup. The Collegiate Cup was created by the Texoma Sailing Club as a way to forge friendships between collegiate sailors and sailors from area sailing organizations in an effort to keep students active in sailing once they graduate.

For the students, they were able to step up ? WAY UP ? from the small dinghies they race in college to large 30'-43' keelboats. For those racing in Lakefest, the collegiate sailors provided much-needed, knowledgeable and enthusiastic manpower to augment the crews on nine boats.

Congratulations to Texas A&M University who brought a large contingent up from College Station and based on the strength of that group were able win the inaugural event. Southern Methodist University (SMU) and the University of Oklahoma (OU) were also well-represented and won 2nd and 3rd (respectively).

ChrisK

Locally, I know HYC has a relationship with Rice University. I haven't heard much lately
http://sailing.rice.edu/
Past Commodore, 2010

BJSailor

Quote from: ChrisK on April 21, 2010, 10:41:11 AM
Locally, I know HYC has a relationship with Rice University. I haven't heard much lately
http://sailing.rice.edu/

I'll let someone from HYC respond to the Rice sailing team.  I've seen them up there often.

Don't undersell the sailing team out of A&M Galveston.  Those "kids" run on a shoestring and do everything themselves and they have a great and active program.  I'll always have fond memories of doing RC for a Team Race event in at the A&M Galveston facility and firing off 85 races in a single day.  No kidding - 85 races in one day!!! 

In the immediate area we have Rice and A&M Galveston who have active sailing programs.  With a little work I'm sure we could get the the UT team, and perhaps UH and SHSU might be able to scare up some sailors.  With a little work, Galveston Bay could host a pretty hairy College Regatta.
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.