HYC Offshore

Started by Bee, April 23, 2010, 10:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

Just got a notice from HYC that the Offshore Triangle has been canceled due to low participation.  Not happy about it but I guess its a sign of the times.

KevinBednar

Anybody know how many boats were signed up?

Anyone plan to run this race but hadn't signed up yet?

Bee

Last time I looked there were only 6. 

As BC pointed out to me, 1900 today was the official last time to enter.  Considering how many skippers tend to wait until the last minute to enter that kind of surprised me.

Oh well, we can always go out and play on our own.

KevinBednar

That's a shame.  It's so similar to the  Heald you'd think there would be more turnout for it.

JayZ

what a bummer.  I'm out of the "sport" for at least a few more months while I continue on the refit of Banjo Girl otherwise I'd be entered.
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

hayesrigging

I was considering taking out the Melges 32 and was going to make decision today.  Guess HYC made that decision for me!!!!  Not sure why the entry deadline was a week before the event, especially considering we are always late signing up around here.

Bee

I bought a Spot 2 just for this race ---- OK, not really just for this one, but it would have been the first one I had a chance to use it for.

RumSponge

I think regattanetwork should offer a "1 click registration" option.  Spending a minute to enter in information is apparently too much of a hassle for some owners.

Grind4Beer

Hrmph ... Bummer ...

I was looking foward to trying to find those 5 minutes we left out in the Gulf last weekend ...

G4B

STuma

Bee has a point... the boats that are entered, or want to sail, just make your own event... Agree on a specified time to cross #5 in the jetties and have it where each one "sailing" communicates via VHF at each turning point... each boat throw $50 in and have a social among each other afterwards... There is nothing saying there needs to be an offical R/C or start... maybe even make it a staggered start?  like the rum race.. we know the distances.. the spread sheet is easy...

just an idea..

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

marc

That's too bad, but probably not that surprising as participation has been slowly dwindling for years, if not decades.

It would be nice if the clubs could all get together and revamp their offshore regattas into a series event. I mean really redesign things to take into account current realities both good and bad and develop a series of quality events with some new life and excitement pumped into them.

For instance, if there's not enough interest to support two overnight offshore races do one and have another club run a Sat/Sun W/L regatta out of Galveston in the spring time. I'm betting that would be a very well received event if it was well run. Repeating something I've said for years you could also score the Texas Navy Trophy to make participation in all three events necesarry to win it. Probably alot of other things as well, but it would require some co-operation and forward thinking.

Marc

RumSponge

Apparently the deadline was Friday and the event was pulled sometime Thursday night.  What I would like to know is how many boats there were that were planning on racing but were just waiting to register until the last minute or even past the deadline?

The turnout may have been low, but good enough for some decent racing as in the Heald Bank.

Bee

For us A-Kite boats the racing might have been spectacular.  As I recall the winds were to be in the 15-20 knot range.  Depending on the course (standard or reverse) there certainly could have been two very hot chute legs. Always love those.

Grind4Beer

Much depends on seasonal winds, loop current eddies, and when they get the well shut-in, and the LA wetlands will catch the worst of it, but oil from the DH blowout will probably fetch up along the TX coast eventually. Yacht racing is a small issue compared to the lives, ecology, and business, but offshore sailing might soon be very messy or worse ...

G4B

Bee

Yeah, I was thinking about that myself.  I can see tar balls sticking to the side, bottom, and keel.  Do they make tar ball cutters?