Unmarked(?) obstruction near Rum Race course

Started by Rmiller1, May 27, 2019, 04:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rmiller1

Passing this on from Jay Livingston. Deja Vu struck a submerged object this afternoon just off the rhumb line between the start and the red Rum Race marker. Given that they went sideways after hitting it hard, Jay suspects it is a pipe. They did not take on water but the damage was significant. There was no obstruction noted at this location on his charts. I'm trying to compare with the NOAA charts to see if I can figure out what he hit... but I guess the lesson here is never over stand on leg 1!

photo hosting sites

Rmiller1

Update: it appears the obstruction is likely the "Pipe PA" flagged on NOAA chart 11326 as a black square just northwest of Red Fish Island.

STuma

Thanks Jim.  Jay did pass this along to me. I will look at moving the mark north a bit to allow some additional clearance.
cheers...
Scott

Rmiller1

And then we can all try our hardest to avoid the wreck to the northwest of the pipe on the new rhumb line  :D

I never appreciated what a mess this bay is until I started sailing on a boat that draws 7 feet!

Hamburger No 1

How about moving the mark WEST instead of up? That could keep us out of the area where there used to be a bunch of structures, with who knows what's still there!

STuma

I was not able to move the mark. If someone has a powerboat, just lasso it and drag it to where you feel is safe - and post of the new location.
cheers...
Scott

hayesrigging

Someone can't just move the mark!!  The starting times are based on the distance, moving the mark will obviously change the distance. 

Osprey

Quote from: hayesrigging on June 14, 2019, 09:04:07 PM
Someone can't just move the mark!!  The starting times are based on the distance, moving the mark will obviously change the distance.

We could try using the Sailing Instructions on how to deal with a missing mark.