HYC One Design Regatta Sep 25 and 26 2010

Started by Jack, June 15, 2010, 10:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

This is a new event added to the GB racing calendar this year.  The NOR was just completed and will be posted 6/16.  We hope lots of y'all choose to participate.

ChrisK

*bump*
Need you sailing fix for the weekend?

J24 Circuit stop up at HYC this weekend
approx 15 J24s
https://www.regattatech.com/registration/action/showEntryRoster?clubCode=J24District14&eventCode=HYCOD10

Plus about 20 boats in the less than 30 ft class.

Good luck racers!

Past Commodore, 2010

Grind4Beer

Hats-off to HYC for hosting some great one-design racing last weekend. I was sorta busy with driving, but as best I can recall, the A-Cats started first, followed by J-24, then J-22, then Lightnings, and somewhere after that Daysailors, Ensigns, maybe some Etcs somewhere in-between. Like I said, I was sorta busy steering the boat, but there was pretty much a constant series of flags, starts and roundings being called on Ch-68 from 10:00 until the finish-line boat was ready to pick up their toys and head back to the harbour. I don't know when the RC had time for lunch, since the A-Cats were often queued up for their next race just before the J-24 fleet mobbed the last leeward gate, with the J-22 and Lightnings only a few minutes behind. We had just enough time to hydrate between races, take a couple of wind-shots, and then hoist the genny for the next start. Combine that with nicely flat (from a 24-ft perspective) water and enough wind and shifts to make heros or goats of tacticians, it was a terrific couple of days of racing.

(For what it's worth, GBCA has also generally been running races with the 'Open-Mike' RC style for a while, and from a racer's point-of-view, that approach allows concentration on the start and the racing. Trying to maneuver between a half-dozen other fleets, to get a look at the board or flags, without swapping fiberglass or encroaching on other starts isn't really the 'intent' of the rules. And it's not that I had a full book of examplary starts, but it was never for lack of knowing when I should be at the line.)

Having all the boats back into the same harbor a half-hour after racing, instead of scattered around several marinas, also made for a nice ambience of cameraderie. It was a bit more staid, perhaps, than the GBCA clubhouse parties, but still very enjoyable, and I don't know of any way to get that much dockage near the GBCA space. Maybe a massive raft-up at the old Regatta/Sunset-Inn piers on Sat evening?

Anyway, Congrats & Thanks to PRO Jack Yoes, his crew, and the HYC Flags, staff, etc for hosting a suberb event.

G4B

jwells

Well said, Shelton. The Daysailers sure had fun and appreciated the hospitality at HYC.
JW - DS 3426

baileyrace

I agree with Shelton. I have seen a many race committees at work over the last few years and most were very good. I do not know how you folks do it. I have to say that that particular RC was the best of the best on that weekend. Kudos.