HYC Leukemia Cup Regatta 2010

Started by ChrisK, June 16, 2010, 04:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

News about the upcoming Leukemia Cup Regatta from HYC:

Link to sign up
Fundraising info for your boat

"The Leukemia Cup Regatta is June 25-27 at the Houston Yacht Club.  The skipper's meeting is June 25 at 7 p.m.; racing action takes place June 26-27.  A spectator boat will be available to take spectators out to watch racing action June 26-27.  The boat departs HYC at 10 a.m.  There is a $30 donation; lunch and refreshments will be provided on the boat.  Reservations are a must; please call the HYC Office at (281) 471-1255.  For complete details, the notice of race and to register online, please visit us at www.houstonyachtclub.com on the race and regatta page.  Registration deadline is June 23."

"Destroyed but still colorful spinnakers are needed for a Leukemia Cup Regatta donation project.  If you can help, please contact Beth Gibson at gibstere@comcast.net"

Past Commodore, 2010

STuma

Thanks for the reminder Chris... If there is anyone planning on racing any of the classes, please let the registrants that are already signed up, or the R/C so they can plan accordingly... There is only 1 boat signed up in PHRF-A...  Several other classes only have 1-3 boats as well...
cheers...
Scott

Jonsey

I think we're going to get the big girl out for a little fun in the non-spin fleet.    She needs a shake-down before heading to Galveston in July.

Jonsey

What is the difference between the PHRF Non-spin and PHRF Non-spin cruising classes?

MaryM

Probably how much your sails cost  ;D

STuma

Jeff,

for what I understand, the PHRF non-spin is any type of sail material, but the crusing class non-spin req
cheers...
Scott

STuma

... requires dacron, and not I don't think r/f is required... I think there could/should be 3 different classes in non-spin... there is a large performance difference between these three "types" of racers and a boat with r/f should not race against a boat with "exotics" in the air...

I am hoping we get a class and don't have to sail non-spin...
cheers...
Scott

Stellar of Course

So, for a cruising boats we have PHRF Cruising Class non spin and a Cruising Class. Still a bit confused.

Ron E
Stellar of Course

STuma

Ron, I could be very wrong, but for what I understand; there is a PHRF non-spin class and a cruising class...

I have to apoligize, I think I blended two topics... I personally think there should be more of a division in the non-spinnaker class... When I started racing catamerans, we had 3 fleets; A, B, and C... a novice would start in C and after a winning record, they would move up to B fleet... then, move up to A fleet... this would allow novices to race against each other instead of a novice racing against a 15 year seasoned veteran... I think the down turn in the racing fleet, allows us to reorganize the classes... I think we should have a PHRF roller-furler cruising class, PHRF cruising class, and a PHRF non-spinnker class... 

Even though the ratings are supposed to account for a furler and furlling main, the boat perform way differently from each other...  There are a lot of cruising boats with furling sails and we need to find a way to accomodate them...

just an idea...
cheers...
Scott

Stellar of Course

I enjoy racing but have never been in the winner cirlce that often as my boat is also our weekend cruising boat. I have told others they will know when I get serious as I will remove the Bar-B-Que pit. I will sign up in the Crusing class and see how many boats enter and see which class I end up with. We will have fun no matter what.

STuma

I understand what you are saying... I actually did some races with the B-B-Q pit on my J-80... we cruised that boat more than we raced it..  I think people have to become real about sailing/racing the boat they have... too many try to race a cruising boat seriously and end up frustrated and almost broke...

I look forward to seeing you out there...
cheers...
Scott

Jonsey

Non-spin is where all the good competition will be at this event ;-)  However, seeing that J145 in PHRF Assym spin is sure tempting ;-)

STuma

you have a good point Jeff... I still have time to design and build a sprit on Bondi...  :-)
cheers...
Scott

Hamburger

I'm liking the J-145 racing against a Weta. That's a single handed trimaran! Should be a close match.........

Jonsey

Might be fun to watch if the wind was +20..    I can see it now - bump "what was that"..  "not sure but a funy looking canoe w/sail and two un-manned kyacks just popped up behind us".

Looks like all of us might be pushed into a cruising fleet.     

Any idea what their going to do with us and when?   Looks like the 122 bailed ..   believe they realized that assyspin wouldn't make and they might have to race us in the non-spin division.  NOBODY can compete with our BBQ pit! 

We'z a gunna be chillin' and grillin'