BBVA Compass Performance Cup Regatta October 9th and 10th, 2010

Started by Leigh Ann, August 26, 2010, 11:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailchick

I'm not going to lie and pretend to be excited that the J Boat Fest has 31 boats signed up.  There are only 15 of us for the Bank Regatta, one of our oldest and normally, most popular regattas.  What do you think it is?  Too many races right before Harvest Moon?  I keep hearing people say they can only do one or the other and I guess most are picking the "other".  We will have to start cancelling a lot of the fun stuff that was planned for next weekend unless more of you sign up.  What can we do to promote this regatta more?  What can we do to get all of the J-Boats to come play on our race course and not just with each other?
GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

BoomerangJ

Sailchick-

I hear ya!  J/Fest was shoe horned into the schedule as best as it could be.  As it was we unknowingly conflicted with a J/22 stop and of course the J/80 Worlds are the week before.  Both have huge impact on our draw. It's always a problem with any first year event to find the right dates.  BTW-Very few of the J/Boats signed up for J/Fest are entered in the HMR. 

I would say to try and implore people to race two weekends in a row.  I think some of the J/Boats that are pulling down to J/Fest also plan to race in the Compass.  I those particular cases it was the draw of both events combined that will help out both events.

The Dillon group ought to be an inspiration to all of us planning events from October thru March.  They can't race at our place and the feedback I get from them is that they love it down here.  We ought to spread that around to all of the sailors North of the Mason-Dixon line to help pump up our registrations!

I hope you end up getting excited for J/Fest-there are lots of crewing opportunities if your interested.  You might make a deal with someone to go race J/Fest with them if they will race Compass with you!?

We have to keep building excitement to get all of these events back to where the attendance needs to be. 

Sincerely;

Scott

Jonsey

Sailchick, if I could walk I'd be sailing.  I'm still planning on being at the sat night party and grabbing a few shirts (save me an xl and small).     

I'm sure you'll get a flurry of boats this week. 

MaryM

from above "BTW-Very few of the J/Boats signed up for J/Fest are entered in the HMR."

No kidding - only a few jboats ever do the HMR.  Do you seriously think LYC never would have ever agreed to this weekend if they thought it would have any significant impact on their turnout for HMR?  As for the impact on the Bank Regatta, it pretty much speaks for itself. 

I appreciate that you are just trying to promote your event Scott but this has pretty much squeezed GBCA on entries which we rely on for the trophies and regatta parties, especially in this economy where sponsorship is not what it used to be.

BoomerangJ

Mary-

All I can say is that I am sorry.  I am just supporting a bunch of sailors that came to me with this concept and wanted to run with it.  I thought it was a great idea and hoped that it would get a bunch of the dormant J owners back out racing. 

In fact a couple of out of town J/owners made me aware that with the addition of J/Fest they were hoping to do the Compass and J/Fest which would have helped attendance for the Compass. 

I fully support the GBCA agenda and hope to be more involved and supportive in the coming years.

Scott

Sailchick

18 boats now!!  Thanks everybody and keep signing up!  It's going to be an awesome weekend!
GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

Bee

And 5 of those are 105's.  With a little luck we might even get to 6.

In all 1/3 of the entries are J-Boats.

DollFin

As soon as David and I can buy another boat, we'll be entering as much as we can! :)  Unfortunately, we're just not ambitions enough to use the soling for anything more than Weds. nights or occasional one-day regattas (plus she's 40 years old and pretty fragile so we hesitate taking her out into the bay too often... and we won't mention what a gal has to do when nature calls!).

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

Bee

Leigh Ann

The NOR has been changed to reflect that the skipper's meeting is at the Club Classic at 7:00 pm, Friday October 8th and not the GBCA Club Office. Don't forget Happy Hour is from 5:00 - 8:00.

See you there...

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubs/gbca.html

ChrisK

What an incredible stretch of nice weather we're having.

Saturday and Sunday forecast looks good. High of 83, clear.  8)
Translation: One less excuse. It really doesn't get much better than that.

Bee: got your 5 J105s...who is missing? Game on.
PHRF Club Handicap: come out and play, we have rigs to round

No matter what you float, it should be a great weekend
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

Radiance is missing. 

Elixir no longer races much, if at all, and Tichenor (J-Teez) is in a similar situation.  Both are excellent boats and are up for sale.  Be nice to get a local yokel to buy one or both.

hayesrigging

Quote from: ChrisK on October 06, 2010, 09:20:03 AM
What an incredible stretch of nice weather we're having.

Saturday and Sunday forecast looks good. High of 83, clear.  8)
Translation: One less excuse. It really doesn't get much better than that.

Bee: got your 5 J105s...who is missing? Game on.
PHRF Handicap: come out and play, we have rigs to round

No matter what you float, it should be a great weekend

Seriously???  The PHRF boats are going around rigs????  From a racing standpoint I hate that idea, takes away a lot of the tactical components of the sport.  From a business standpoint I like it, just hope nobody gets hurt!!!!!

Bee

Leigh Ann

It will be highly unlikely, improbable and doubtful that PHRF Spin boats will be going around rigs - that's why we carry marks......

Leigh Ann