GBCA RR Mark

Started by Deckhand, September 15, 2019, 12:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deckhand

The GBCA Rum Race mark was a little low in the water yesterday for Performance Cup. Good thing the gps location was good! When the waves came in, it was completely underwater  :o
GBCA Commodore 2014

Tye Dyed Gary

While it was an excellent experiment in different courses for the Rum Races, maybe it's time to stop exposing our Keels to old Red Fish Gas field. The structures  are no longer there, but the pipes that connected them together are still there, AND the shrimpers drag them up with a certain amount of regularity. Basically if you are south of the South Trinity Cut or east of marker M52 you are in the old Red Fish Gas Production field. The old well heads were west of Red Fish.
  I know it will shorten the Rum Races course by about a mile, but it will cut exposure to keel damage if we start using Trinity Cut mark 8. It is easily seen from a distance and we don't have to maintain it or request a permit for it's placement. Plus go back to using the Low Range marker(E) for the north mark.
  I did enjoy the challenge of the different courses in the Rum Races and other races, but I am thinking of safety. If we continue with the TGIF series that finish after dark, we shouldn't expose ourselves to this submerged hazard.           
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

STuma

Quote from: Tye Dyed Gary on September 16, 2019, 10:00:00 AM
  While it was an excellent experiment in different courses for the Rum Races, maybe it's time to stop exposing our Keels to old Red Fish Gas field. The structures  are no longer there, but the pipes that connected them together are still there, AND the shrimpers drag them up with a certain amount of regularity. Basically if you are south of the South Trinity Cut or east of marker M52 you are in the old Red Fish Gas Production field. The old well heads were west of Red Fish.
  I know it will shorten the Rum Races course by about a mile, but it will cut exposure to keel damage if we start using Trinity Cut mark 8. It is easily seen from a distance and we don't have to maintain it or request a permit for it's placement. Plus go back to using the Low Range marker(E) for the north mark.
  I did enjoy the challenge of the different courses in the Rum Races and other races, but I am thinking of safety. If we continue with the TGIF series that finish after dark, we shouldn't expose ourselves to this submerged hazard.         

The buoy is a topic of discussion over the winter.

Why go back to E? The High Range gives a better reach leg.. Boats have to use a barber hauler and actually reach rather than crack the jib 2" and power beat...
cheers...
Scott