Mr. Curmudgeon

Started by Eric713, September 05, 2010, 07:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric713

Thought we had a nice position above you early on but you sure sailed better to E mark.  CONGRATS..You sailed a nice rum 8 to the finish. You sailed a nice course and beat us by about 3 miniutes or so. Looking forward to next year Terry.

CurmudgeonII

Thanks,
Its just too bad that some of us that chose not to fly spinnakers had to sail with boats that did. I don't think there is any way that the ratings can be adjusted to compensate a boat that does not fly a spinnaker. In the last race #8, I was in the lead all the way till the chutes started poping.

Charles

Quote from: CurmudgeonII on September 07, 2010, 11:23:00 AM
Its just too bad that some of us that chose not to fly spinnakers had to sail with boats that did.

It's called "Mixed Fleet Racing".
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

hayesrigging

The PHRF non spin factor is in no way suppose to fairly rate a non spin boat vs a spin boat.  The formula was derived years ago by Galveston Bay PHRF and in no way was ever intended to evenly handicap boats spin vs non spin. 

This being said I do believe what Kevin Box is doing with the club handicap is fantastic and seems to be getting boats out.  For rum race purposes I dont see too big of a problem with the system since the ratings for the next race are adjusted based upon the results whether it is a spin boat or a non spin boat.  If you get a race where the wind is just right and you cant carry a spin but on one leg on a reach then I bet the non spin boats would have the advantage based purely on the PHRF-GB ratings.

CurmudgeonII

It only takes one leg and that is what they have been getting, but look at the results, the spin boats usually win with just one leg, and the previous post was right, no matter how much Kevin tries, it is impossible to rate spin boats with non spin boats on the same course.
Thats just my opinion, and I am sticking to it, 20 years of racing on all types of boats gives me a lot of insight.

ChrisA

The PHRF ratings assume that the courses are windward/leward, where the spin boats can fly their kites for half of the race. In RR #8 they could only do that for 1/3 of the race. No disrespect meant, Terry, but it means that you did not sail the first two legs fast enough. The beauty of the Club Handicap is that those discrepancies are adjusted for race, after race. After a season of races, the ratings should be pretty solid. Sure, the wind is going to favor some boats, but it's different every week. Keep coming out. Practice, practice, practice. You'll be singing a different song next year.

Terry Young

Your right we made mistakes in the first and second leg. With a 4.3? keel we cannot point in the first leg and on the second leg we made mistakes trying some new things, third leg we started to wake up and fly right and broke out the jello shot and watch the sunset. I did not fly the kite in RR#8 sometimes it does more harm than good, this year we were just try to learn how to fly it, and need a lot more practice. Hope to see you all in Harvest Moon Race. My thanks to the GBCA race committee for a job well done, and all the great times and the great photos.   Crumudgon I?ll buy you a cold one in Port A, by the way what does the name mean?

"KATANA"

Eric713

Katana.  I saw your request for the definition of curmudgeon.  This is straight from my 1978 Websters New World Dictionary:
A SURLY, ILL MANNERED, BAD TEMPERED PERSON. CANTANKEROUS FELLOW.  WOW!!