Time to do less Regattas and more quality ones?

Started by Xavier, October 18, 2010, 03:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

Do we need two Women's regattas even if they are from 2 clubs? Eliminate the GBCA and let HYC run that regatta. May be is time to think about combining couple regattas into one. We have too many Spring Series, may be the Shoe and Bank regatta needs to be one.

The participation is small in every regatta, it's not the economy, J fest managed to get 40 boats out there, and that is only J boats. I'll be happy with one or two regattas a months if you can get 50 or 60 boats.

We can't keep trying to squeeze more regattas into a calendar already packed and suffering; and why do we schedule races in the summer at 11am? Everyone knows the sea breeze doesn?t come until 2pm but we think we can get quality racing in no breeze and 100 degree weather. Do you wonder how we get 60 boats on a rum race?

If you can't get 5 boats to make a class, that regatta is failing.

J24srock

I would agree that the schedules get convoluted. I am out of the Galveston Bay area and want to come back to do more sailing, but have the Texas J/24 circuit and hopefully Sunfish circuit next year to contend with.

My only input is about the Women's Regatta. I do not agree that HYC should take over this event. I have raced at HYC twice and both times I was pretty disgusted with the comments made by the race committee during both year's skipper's meeting. I won't air those here, but the women that were there know what I am talking about. Which is why we don't go there anymore.

If you look at this year's participation between HYC and GBCA in the women's regattas, HYC had two days of racing with 5 spinnaker boats and 3 non-spin boats racing and on Saturday and 4 boats racing on Sunday. GBCA had one day of racing but they had 6 non-spin boats racing and 11 spinnaker boats. I was disappointed in seeing only one woman aboard the majority of the boats (with some having 1 woman and 8 guys), but whatever. I did enjoy the sequin tops on the men though.

Anyways, my point is if the objective for a women's regatta is to get female participation, why move it to the location with less participation?

Leave the Women's regatta alone and focus on the 30 other regattas going on in Galveston Bay to adjust. Unless, you are just wanting to make sure women don't go out to the race course and beat your a**. Just kidding Xav!!

MaryM

Xav - did you miss the three other threads about this already?  8)

I agree Tonja with the comments on the HYC women's regatta - in addition, it seemed to have more enthusiastic participation under the old format when it was a one-day women's only regatta.

Funk

I'm pretty sure if the women's regatta were scheduled during a better part of the season it would help alot as well.  Why not replace a weak event during peak season with the women's regatta or have a second one.
WHATS IT RATE