Distance Race. Why not Biloxi or Grand Isle or something in addition to Mexico?

Started by JayZ, November 05, 2010, 08:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayZ

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Charles

It's only about 50km farther to Pensacola than to Gulfport/Biloxi and it has mo betta accommodations
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

ChrisK

And some other interesting stuff stumbled upon about the St. Petersberg Single/Double Hand Race (yes, you read that right, shorthanded racing across the gulf) first run in 1974.

Info is a little sketchy but from the 1977 GBCA TORC guide (this race was not part of the TORC):

??This is a 700 mile race for single and double handed sailboats. The race is co-sponsored by GBCA and the St. Petersberg Yacht Club. Any type of self steering gear is legal. The course is from the North Jetties to an oil rig on the edge of the continental shelf approximately 120 miles southeast. From that point the course is 90? to Eggmont Island at the mouth of Tampa Bay. Race Committee Chairman Frank Tuma?   

Looking at the results it doesn?t look like there were a lot of boats that did this race, as they're only listed one or two boats deep. It looks like it was on the schedule until the mid 1980's but only run two or three times.

The first Oct 4th, 1974 Galveston to St Petersberg race ?Single-handed to the End of the World? race results have some familiar names (it turns out they ran a double handed class as well) The results of that first race in 1974 have some familiar names:

First to Finish ?Whiskey Jack? (Simpson/Tuma); 1st Single Handed ?Utopia? (J. Smith); 1st Double Handed ?Witch? (Baldridge/Allen)

Next time I run into By Baldridge I'll try to get a little more history of the race...
Past Commodore, 2010

bshores

Amen with the 125, although you'd be stuck in the mud in the bay before ever clearing the jetties.  Keith, props to all the west coast guys for reviving what is arguably one of the best J-boats ever.

Keith

Quote from: bshores on October 31, 2011, 01:18:14 PM
Amen with the 125, although you'd be stuck in the mud in the bay before ever clearing the jetties.  Keith, props to all the west coast guys for reviving what is arguably one of the best J-boats ever.

No Mud offshore though!

The 125's are having a huge resurgence here.  Agreed it is the best J-Boat of all time, once you go 20+kts it is hard to come back!  Possibly on one for the San Diego-Puerto Vallarta race in Feb. and if the race is anything like two years ago it will be epic. 

Really a shame that there is not more offshore in Texas, hopefully the Border Race gets a good turnout this year, I would love to come out and race it.

ChrisK

Ran into OJ Young at SSY and out of the blue he told us a story of a J44 he raced from Galveston to Biloxi in 1991.
The last time he thinks the race was run.
60 some boats started and only 3 finished. 30+ knots on the nose the whole way...
It was a great story, but I'm glad I wasn't there.

I'm guessing the Galveston to Biloxi was a LYC event back in the early 1990's

Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

Problem with offshore in Texas is that there's only two places to go: PA and SP.  In addition there are virtually no available slips in Galveston when you need. Them.  Maybe we need to see if we can get a gigantic ferry to take us from Kemah to Galveston and back at 45 knots.

ChrisK

Jay: It looks like LYC is pretty serious about bringing back the Biloxi race, Memorial Day weekend 2012
Past Commodore, 2010

hayesrigging

Yes, it is going to happen.  Galveston to Gulfport, Ms.  Stay tuned for more information but you can count on it next year.  Memorial Day weekend start.

Bee

That's a hell of a long race.  Would have to double hand the 105 in order to assure that we could carry enough beer to make it.

Keith

Quote from: hayesrigging on November 05, 2011, 09:33:18 AM
Yes, it is going to happen.  Galveston to Gulfport, Ms.  Stay tuned for more information but you can count on it next year.  Memorial Day weekend start.

I am in.. who needs crew?

Charles

Quote from: Bee on November 05, 2011, 10:59:10 AM
That's a hell of a long race.  Would have to double hand the 105 in order to assure that we could carry enough beer to make it.

400 miles...average 5 knts.. 80 hrs... 2 beers/hr....160 beers/crew...4 crew...640 beers...26 cases more or less
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

Hell, BA, that's just for me. OK, maybe for you and me, but for 4?  No way.

Christopher

Quote from: Charles on November 07, 2011, 08:24:48 PM
Quote from: Bee on November 05, 2011, 10:59:10 AM

400 miles...average 5 knts.. 80 hrs... 2 beers/hr....160 beers/crew...4 crew...640 beers...26 cases more or less

x2 if it's those nasty lites   :P
Mahalo nui loa