Triple Play is sold

Started by Brad, December 04, 2010, 12:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

Quote from: B Sailing on December 09, 2010, 11:13:54 AM
Enjoy not being a boat owner AND still go sailing on a J/80 and J/105--www.bsailing.com
(shameless plug)

I will not miss getting caught in the huge bad air zone Triple Play blanketed the start line with.  :-\

yes, shame on you Alan... LOL.. but, I do agree with not missing the oxygen masks dropping from the boom as TP rolls by...
cheers...
Scott

STuma

and we can't forget the F-28R's that are for sale!!!
cheers...
Scott

Burns

Best bang for the buck on the bay right now is the 1D 35, with you there would be a class that should be pretty active.

Bee

Quote from: Screwloose on December 14, 2010, 07:13:49 AM
Best bang for the buck on the bay right now is the 1D 35, with you there would be a class that should be pretty active.

Hmmm.  Yacht World has 4-5 1D35's for sail in the 69-79K range.  One can get a good J105 for about 10K more then that.

Racing a 1D35 has the following wonderful properties:

8-9 crew
Difficult to sail really well
Nice big symmetric kite with pole and all the trimmings.
Nice collection of expensive sails
Nice deep draft to keep you of the water in the winter.
No backstay
Precisely 2 on the bay. One more makes a heavenly 3

Contrast the J105 properties:

Easy to sail with only two crew
Fabulous heavy air boat --- Speeds in excess of 18 knots in heavy winds --- Ask Zartler
5-6 crew is all that's required to race a J105
Nice big easy to set asymmetric kite off a sprit with minimal trimmings.
Fixed set of exactly 4 sails, all of which come in at $3,600 or less
Sail purchases limited to 5 in each 2 year period
Inexpensive to maintain and race.
5 on the bay.  One more makes 6.
Good chance for at least 1 more to make 7
Annual J-Fest  with 10 boats this year.
Next year Fleet 17 will sponsor a perpetual trophy for a SouthWest Championship at the J-Fest.
Draft of 6.5 feet means year around sailing on the bay.
Great national class association
650+ boats built world-wide means it exceeds critical mass for OD racing in North America.

Bang?

B Sailing/Alan Bates

Bee--PLEASE let me know where I can get 4 new J105 sails for $3,600
Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.

Bee

That's average price per sail.

I have one I will sell you for half that.

Bee

BTW, the big C & C 110 was less than that.  No guarantees Ed will do that again, but its a fine kite.

Jeff K

What I think burns was eluding too was, for 65k you can get a boat that rates 33. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the short comings of the J-105 so I won't get into a boat bashing thread with you. You were correct on two points though, the amount of boats and the easiness of the A-kite.
Who wasn't on the vang?

STuma

I tend to look at price/knot boat speed...

a 28' trailerable (slip is $100/month compared to $250-400/month) for $60-90k where 75% of the time, you're sailing over 15-20 knots, with one or two people.  

To race the 28, you only need 3-4 people.  That is a huge benefit over any of the mono's around.  

The boat has proven to be fast in the bay and one of the fastest on HMR (I believe all F-28's have beaten the 105's, 109's and ID 35's boat for boat each year)..

The cost overall cost of sails is less on the 28 because of the full battons and class jib.  The initial cost of a main is more because of the battons, but we can agree that full battons sails last longer.  

I will admit the 105 appears to have a strong class, and the multi group are a bit strange at times... There are so many factors and depends on what the primary needs are.  I prefer to go fast and flat.  

cheers...
Scott

Charles

Get a Catalina 22 and come play on Wednesday nights~ ;D
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

There are no short comings to a J105 when racing class.

Burns

Bee everyone is going to get a 105 when they get as old as you.  In the meantime the 1D is a lot of fun.

Bee

Didn't say they aren't a lot of fun.  Didn't say one shouldn't buy one.  Didn't intend to rile anyone up.

Of course, if I was as good of a sailor as you guys are, if I wasn't too old to sail one, and if I could find enough young crew, then maybe I would buy one.

B Sailing/Alan Bates

all that aside--it really comes down to: porta potty vs. real marine head.  :o
Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.

Jonsey

Those ID35's are a lot of boat for 65K.  Big, ergonomic open cock-pit.  I thought they were much more expensive than that...  but I guess not.  Very sexy boats..  i'll bet you have no issue finding crew!

It's going to be fun to watch them duke it out with the 122 and 111's when those arrive.     Next year's Texas Race week and the other off-shore events could be very interesting in the fast boat class. 

I'm surprised you don?t see more Fboats active on the bay.  Cool machines but from what i understand (no first-hand knowledge) that's a very different game. 

By the way - what is triple play and who is this Brad Robbins guy?!