Save Galveston Bay Oysters!!

Started by MaryM, December 09, 2010, 04:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryM

I have lifted this from Rob Walsh's blog - he is a big fan of Galveston Bay oysters - please send your comments to TCEQ!

"You really need to e-mail a comment to the TCEQ if you want your kids to know what oysters taste like. Under the current water flow plans, Galveston Bay oysters would cease to exist. If you don?t believe me, take a look at today?s Houston Chronicle (December 6). There?s a very timely article on the threat to the $2 billion Galveston Bay seafood industry and sport fishery that the new water plan represents. Bureaucrats in Austin don?t eat oysters and they don?t give a damn?so it?s up to you.

Comment by email to the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality You must select ?SB3/HB3″ as the subject of your message. Just write: ?We need more fresh water for the oysters!? or something to that effect."

http://www5.tceq.state.tx.us/rules/ecomments/ will link you directly to the comment page.

MaryM

Comment period ends on December 20th, so don't put this off if you want to continue to enjoy our home-grown oysters!

JayZ

I haven't looked into it but I sure hope Rob is wrong.  I'll read up and respond appropriately.
Thanks for posting this Mary.

JZ

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Charles

I dood it!  Yummmm.  Smoked oysters!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

STuma

Thanks Mary...

I have been working with Galveston Bay Foundation regarding this issue.  The main factor is the amount of bacteria the monitors are detecting.  I think the biggest thing we as a community that cares can do, is help stop the bacteria.  We are studying to determine where the major contributors are coming from.  Come to the meetings to learn what can be done from the community.  What the beurocrats do/can do is minimal to what "we the people" can do to prevent the pollution.  We put it there, we can fix it. 

Please check out www (dot) galvbay(dot)org to see what can be done.  We have several groups that are addressing the bacteria in  Galveston Bay, and there is plenty of room to handle as many people as possible. 

"Science and Monitoring" @ 2:00 pm 1/11/11 at the GBF office (17330 Highway 3; Webster, TX 77598)

"Boater's Waste" @ 5:30 pm 1/13/11 at the GBF office.

As stated in previous posts, we all need to get involved.  There is a public hearing at 10:00am on December 16th in Austin.

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

MaryM

Scott - the level of bacteria is certainly an issue for the consumption of oysters but for sustained development of the oysters, there is a defined range of salinity that optimizes growth and breeding.  If the TCEQ allows the amount of fresh water that is directed into the bay to be reduces, not only do the bacteria levels go up but the salinity will significantly increase over time and kill off the oysters.  The amount of fresh water that flows down from Trinity River greatly influences the overall water quality of the bay.  We routinely deal with National Marine Fisheries Service, Texas Parks and Wildlife and TCEQ on these water quality issues in conjunction with creating beneficial use sites such as new oyster reefs for dredging projects here and in other locations along the coast.

Get your comments in folks - they are due on the 20th.