HYC Elissa Regatta April 2 & 3

Started by Leigh Ann, March 25, 2011, 07:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh Ann

The Elissa Regatta will be held at HYC next weekend, April  2-3.  Skippers meeting Friday at 7:00PM. Party and dinner Saturday night with silent auction, door prizes, and $1.00 raffle (winner gets cash!).  Drink tickets available Saturday with credit card or cash.  Enter through www.regattanetwork.com . Spectator boat available with donation. More info at www.houstonyachtclub.com on race and regatta tab. 

sailfastliveslow

OK, we got 19 boats registered a week before.  Even a random Viper.  Who else wants to play next weekend?

ChrisK

Help preserve an important piece of Texas history!

This event is a fundraiser for the Elissa, the Official Tall Ship of Texas and a National Historic Landmark
http://houstonyachtclub.com/documents/elissa_signup.pdf

Silent aucton on Friday and Saturday night, dinners, a spectator boat is also available...lots of ways to spend money on a great cause.

Regatta registration:
https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registration_form.php?regatta_id=3835

More information here:
http://www.galvestonhistory.org/Elissa-donate.asp
Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

Here's a list of auction items, proceeds goto the Elissa:

Weekend at beach house in Boliver
Dinner, drinks, evening cruise on 65? Sport Fish
Dinner, drinks, anchor in bay on 45? Power boat
BBQ dinner for 25-30 people on deck at HYC (doesn?t need to be HYC member)
Wine Tasting for 20
Jewelry
Hall Hull Model of Elissa
Wireless printer/fax machine
Custom cake with floral arrangement
Alcohol basket
Wine basket
Dog basket
Guitar with amp
Belaying pins from the Elissa
Gift certificates from local restaurants
Tour for 20, Galveston Seaport
Picture set of the Elissa on canvas

Many other miscellaneous interesting items

$1.00 Raffle ? winner gets cash!

Dinner Saturday night $15.00

Also some information on becoming a "Plateowner':

From the website:
Join the growing number of Elissa Plateowners (formerly known as ?Plankowners,? until all the wooden deck planks were spoken for). These members have shown their support for the Texas Seaport Museum through their contributions. Your support is vital to the preservation and interpretation of Texas? seafaring heritage.

An honorary ownership of an Elissa hull plate is $375. It comes with our great thanks for your support, a lifetime pass to the Texas Seaport Museum and Elissa, a commemorative rivet plaque, and a certificate of ?ownership.? An inscription in your honor (or to whomever you wish to honor) or to your company will be placed on a permanent plaque displayed at the Texas Seaport Museum.
Plateowners are also invited to join in social and fundraising events for the museum and Elissa.
Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

A fine day racing yesterday (Saturday). Lighter airs in the am, filled in by the final race, at least on the big boat PHRF line.
Water is not too cold, so the occasional splash wasn't too bad... (tho I did scream like a girl, once or twice...)
Past Commodore, 2010

Christopher

Mahalo nui loa

Christopher

Quote from: Christopher on April 03, 2011, 06:27:02 PM
1st day, races 1 & 2 pics at:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/album.php?fbid=1720777373811&id=1069617020&aid=2084761

We were following the big boat line as our son was on Stinger.  I tried to get multi boat shots of all the boats; but the boats were a mixed bag and quickly separated.  Only the 105s were match racing. 

It was a grey day and I've not figured out F-stops to compensate.
Mahalo nui loa

BoomerangJ

Here's a few more shots from Bob Malish-Canon.  Bob is a fellow sailor from the Dallas area and works for Canon camera.  He was in town to shoot the final four and support the journalists that use Canon products.  He called and asked if he could get away from the madness and come take photo's of sailboats.  Thanks to James Liston/Gordie Keenan for letting Bob jump on the mark set boat and take pics.  Here's the link:  http://gallery.me.com/sspurlin/100239

A lot of them are of the J/111 but there are several more of all of the fleets, and even the opti's.  Tough day to get good shots.  Some of you saw the photo's in the HYC bar area after the races Sunday.  Keep checking the link as Bob has more to upload-but is out on an assignment at the moment.

If anyone wants high res versions-feel free to e-mail Bob at:  Bob Malish <bmalish@me.com>  Bob is also a great teacher.  He's taught us a lot about using our new Canon 60D.  Amazing camera!

Jonsey

Nice boat.     Bout time to go head to head with the hombres in a gbca regatta, would you say? 

There, smack down.

Bee

Done.  Check out the last Rum Race last year.

Jonsey

Not really much of a test would you say bee?  Line my viper against your j on that course anytime. 

Horses for courses.   

Bee

Jonsey

I should have ended that post with a  ;)

Bee

Someone told me the wunder kinde at PHRF dropped the 111's handicap to 35.  If so, the duel should be quite interesting to watch. 

With Mike M driving and proper weight distribution the 111 should be able to go almost as deep as the 1D35.

Who knows?  Have to wait and see.

hayesrigging

The rating for the 111 is 36 on Galveston Bay, that is what we started the icicle race with as well.  In Charleston this weekend I am sailing on Gambler the J-122 against a J-111 that rates 42 there.   My personal opinion is the 111 is not going to be able to sail to a 36 rating against well sailed J-122's and 1D35's on Galveston Bay.  I can officially complain about PHRF ratings now, I served my time (10+yrs)!!!!!!!!