HYC Offshore Regatta - report

Started by JimT, April 24, 2011, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Bednar

We've got six registered and at least two or three rumored to be joining us.  (Where is Tenacious?  Those guys need to be throwing down against you in the non-spin fleet...)

Kevin Bednar

Correction, "Those guys need to be throwing down against you and Figaro in the non-spin fleet.."

Christopher

Are we going to have a race?   ???

Curious minds want to know.  I have crew coming from out of town to notify.

We have enough for a spin race - Let's DO IT!!   8)
Mahalo nui loa

Evan

There are 6 spin boats registered. Yes, I know they are a mix of asym and sym but we race against each other all the time so there is really no reason to not combine these two due to the lack of boats to make separate classes. In every other offshore race (Heald, TRW, HMR, RTTB, RDA) these two classes are run together as a spin fleet so not going because there is not a defined class per NOR is a little ridiculous in my opinion.

Personally, I just want to go race. I do not care if we race against sym, asym, a -100 rater, or a 200 rater, I just want to go out. The weather is damn near perfect right now and offshore sailing (at least to me) sounds very appealing right now.

To you guys complaining about the weather...its supposed to blow 18-22 knts on friday and saturday. Please explain to me why you complained about a drifter two weeks ago in the Heald and now there is a forecast for strong breeze offshore and now it is too windy and you want the race cancelled??? C'mon guys, this is just dumb. Offshore racing is supposed to be challenging. It is about boat preparation, long term strategy, endurance, safety, and sailing smart.

Hopefully I will see everyone out on friday. If not, I will be just another 25 year old who is rapidly losing faith in the future of this sport.

Evan

Bee

As I said in the other HYC Offshore forum, I would be stunned if Gordie or anyone else from HYC canceled.  They will either have two spin classes with three boats each or combine them into one 6 boat class and go with it.

I have no idea why they canceled last year, but I would bet big time that they will not cancel this one.  The would lose too much face.

Kevin Bednar

I contacted Gordie at HYC and he said:

"I?m ready to go with it as long as everyone else is.  Weather looks a little  strong!....regards,   Gordie"

Charles

Onward through the fog! Bet we won't be sitting still or backing up this time!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

Yep, but backing up did give us time to get a little snooze in.  I heard that some big bozo on Stinker made prodigious basso profundo sounds.  Now wonder who that could have been.