MSD - Marine Sanitation Device

Started by MaryM, May 18, 2011, 01:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryM

Just recieved a flyer in the mail regarding the certification of my marine head.  Did anyone else get this?  The link on the flyer from TCEQ references the incorrect link - here's the real one to use: http://www.tceq.texas.gov/field/cleanwatercert/boatsdisposalrule.html

I try to keep up on the new Clean Water Act regulations but I totally missed this one.  Does anyone know when this went into effect?  Has anyone been ticketed for not have the required sticker if you have a type III marine head?  It's $15 for every two years but still...I hate to see us having to fund some type of state program when they really need to just do more enforcement on the water if it is such a problem.  Thoughts?....

Hamburger

I got that same note, and after I got over being totally PO's about yet another tax I paid it on line. To appreciate just how bone headed this is just look at the parameters of validity: The darn thing goes in effect supposedly last November. Nobody heard about it until just now. But the $15 count for two years ending 12/31 of odd years, i.e., this year. So: we're paying the fee not for two years but for seven months. Even if we all had paid immediately it would have been only for just over a year. Your elected representatives at work. Don't we love them!!! There's no inspection or other requirement to get this permit, just your money. If it looks like a tax, smells like a tax (and it does!!) it probably is a duck.

Bee

That link does not work from my office.  Will try this at home and see what gives.  I wonder if this is legit.

Bee

Ahh.

change texas to state and gov to tx.us and it all works.

Still wonder if this is ligit.

Scoundrel

I received the same flyer.  Absolutely does smell of another tax.  However, the flyer says it applies to "all fresh water bodies in Texas plus Clear Lake".  On the website it states:  All inland freshwater lakes and rivers are considered to be NDZs. Clear Lake is currently the only coastal NDZ in Texas.  As I'm in the Boardwalk Marina, like Bee, and draw 6', I don't operate in Clear Lake, only the channel and Galveston bay.  Don't think it applies to me unless I go into Clear Lake.

ChrisA

No unfortunately it applies to all Texas waters. That would include Galveston Bay. Freshwater bodies and Clear Lake are NDZs, which means that even if you have a CG approved waste treatment system, like ElectroScan, you cannot discharge the treated waste in those waters. I'm afraid we are all on the hook.

Quest

There was a lot of discussion of this on the TMCA site.  Someone called them and yes it's legit, it's been around for a while but never enforced. TPWD is going to start ticketing this summer and the 'Texas Waters' that they plan to enforce on is ALL Texas waters upto the 3 mile offshore limit. It's a $200 fine if they write you up.

Interestingly enough, when the TMCA member asked the State what the money is for, they were told that the fees just barely cover the cost of printing, issuing and managing the decals.   ???

Kevin Bednar

I wonder which congressperson has a donor who now prints the stickers?

Charles

Quote from: Kevin Bednar on May 23, 2011, 12:26:10 PM
I wonder which congressperson has a donor who now prints the stickers?

Probably someone's brother-in-law
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

OK, I did it, but $15 for a stupid sticker that says nothing about the legality of the terlit is crappy indeed.

Hamburger

Quote from: Bee on May 23, 2011, 01:21:57 PM
OK, I did it, but $15 for a stupid sticker that says nothing about the legality of the terlit is crappy indeed.

It's not the sticker that's stupid, Bee!

Bee

Yes, I agree, my mistake.  I am very aware of how and where stupid should be applied.

Eric713

It's ashame that all these "donations" can't get a few six inch pipe obstacles removed from the bay to make boating safer for all of us.

Hamburger

Quote from: Eric713 on May 24, 2011, 06:17:15 AM
It's ashame that all these "donations" can't get a few six inch pipe obstacles removed from the bay to make boating safer for all of us.

You think that Texas Parks and Wildlife will share their new tax revenue with the Coast Guard??? That makes so much sense, it'll never happen.

Bee

After several miss steps, go rounds, funky pay system, and a lack to available stickers to send, TCEQ finally got my stickers to me this week.  Imagine my surprise to learn that they are good until Dec 31 2013. 

What a hoot.  They will be on Stinger today.