2011 Rum Race #2: 6/18

Started by Eric713, May 28, 2011, 06:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric713

Just noticed Rum Race #2 will start at 3pm instead of 5pm.  More time to clean up the boat after the race and more time to party afterwards.  4pm would have made me happy, but 3pm will do just fine!!

Jim Powers

The start time for Rum Race # 2 is the same as for all of the other rum races. See the Sailing Instructions for start times.

Eric713

Thanks for removing the 3pm thing from the home page.

ChrisK

Looks like wind-o-plenty for tomorrow

http://www.sailflow.com/windandwhere.iws?siteID=1138&Isection=Forecast+Graphs&regionID=146

Of course, Sailflow has been known to lie...

Better stack that rail with new crew (see Intro to Racing thread!)
Past Commodore, 2010

Sailaway

Loading up photos at:

www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets or just
www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/

Should all be loaded by tomorrow.

Enjoy!

m/v Tramp

gwittich

Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Terry Young

Look like two boat hit, just after the low range mark. Every ok?

CurmudgeonII

CurmudgeonII was one of the boats, my Steering cable broke just as I was turning up to try to go over Katana and a slower baot coming around the mark hit us as we had no control. Sure wish he had fallen off the wind instead of coming up. No real damage to me, bent a stauchion and its already repaired. But the steering cable will be a much harder repair. I didn't see any damage at all to the other boat.

tsampsel

That guy should not have been racing.  It looked to me like he tacked right on top of you and the couldn't get any boat speed then drifted down on top of you.  Later on the 2nd leg we were on port, he was on starboard.  As I should have done, I started to duck under his stern.  Apparently not knowing he had right of way, he decided to duck under my stern.  When I then headed up, he headed up.  I ended up flopping over just to get away from him.  No excuse for not knowing the basic rules of the road.  Red #55. 

JayZ

Quote from: tsampsel on June 20, 2011, 01:28:26 PM
That guy should not have been racing.  It looked to me like he tacked right on top of you and the couldn't get any boat speed then drifted down on top of you.  Later on the 2nd leg we were on port, he was on starboard.  As I should have done, I started to duck under his stern.  Apparently not knowing he had right of way, he decided to duck under my stern.  When I then headed up, he headed up.  I ended up flopping over just to get away from him.  No excuse for not knowing the basic rules of the road.  Red #55. 

...Mostly agree.  However everyone needs to start somewhere and the Rum Races are teh perfect into into racing and thus boat handling.    On your port/starboard crossing...  maybe he got nervous?

Great day on the bay.  Nice Winds and a good crew aboard Banjo Girl.  Now we just need to find some more speed out of the old gir!
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Christopher

Quote from: tsampsel on June 20, 2011, 01:28:26 PM

Nope, a teaching opportunity.  Did you look for and find the skipper afterwards to explain the situation and the rules?
Mahalo nui loa

tsampsel

I completely agree that the Rum is a great race to get new people out on the water.  We had 4 "never been sailing" folks with us.  But to be at the helm without knowing basic right-of-way can be and almost was a bad day twice.  I know I used the moment as a teaching tool on my boat. 

Unfortunately, we had a curfew and bailed early.  I was able to talk to him on the water though... ::) and did tell him he had the right of way.   

Gladden

Where are the results of RR#2 posted?

dilast1

B Sailing/Alan Bates

Rum Race #2 results are they were handed to me at the party=--sorry for such delay in posting.  Leigh Ann has them to post to the official tally of points.  Only 120 hots consumed at the party, I know we can do better than that.... ;D

GBCA Club Handicap:    1. Moonlight Mile  19:43:19
               2. Sakaliwag (sp) 19:51:00
               3. Katana              19:55:26

Single/Doubel Hand :   1. Selah
               2. Mental Floss
               3. Rolana Sue
Spin:   1.Infiniti
      2. Stinger
      3. Silver Bullet
      4. Tres Hombres   
      5. Parrot Tales

Non-Spin 1. Be Easy
      2. Whee Doggie
      3. Tenatious
      4. Moxie
      5. Chiron
Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.