2011 GBCA Rum Race #5 (8/13)

Started by ChrisK, August 10, 2011, 06:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

It has been a little warm, but the evening breeze has been nice. Come down to the bay and escape the heat!

In unrelated but still still pretty cool racing news imagine 1,908 boats; 12,000+ sailors!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/sailing/13919983.stm
Past Commodore, 2010

Terry Young

This video reminds me of Harvest Moon Race 2010 winds. My boat does like much more than 12 to 14 knot winds and being shallow draft, she doesn't point well, and by Thur night I was seeing 28 knot winds almost on the nose, and puching thru seas 7 to 8 ft. Said I would not do another HMR when I docked, but here I am planning to enter 2011 HMR. I must be crazy.
I guess I must love to sail and enjoy the company of the people I sail with.

"KATANA"

sailorjohnny

I noticed that the Face Book page for this race states that the race is from 3-6 pm. This is not the first time that this has appeared this way. I think that the time should not be posted on Face Book and participants should look up the time that they start in the rules.

ChrisK

FB requires a start time when creating an event invite. The official NOR/SI hyperlinks with the PHRF start time matrix are referenced in the invite.

But here's the handy SI link...(also found at www.gbca.org homepage)

http://www.gbca.org/Resources/Documents/2011%20Rum%20Race%20SI.pdf
Past Commodore, 2010

beverly

Rumor has it that there will also be a presentation of plaques to the RTTB winners tonight - Chiron, Kenai and Danelaw! 

Come to the party after the race to enjoy the sights, sounds and flavors of Mexico! :o

ChrisK

Chef Senor Caldwell, bringing some taco treats. yum!
Past Commodore, 2010

DollFin

We're not racing tonight (just too much on our plate this weekend) but we're going to head over there and see if we can help set up for the party and just socialize for a bit. :)

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

gwittich

Good race, great tacomania!
Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Sailaway

Well we made it out to take some pic but stayed out to watch the moon come up!  Ohhhhh Ahhhhh.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets

Enjoy

m/v Tramp  ;D

ShakenNotStirred

Results for rum race 5.

Spin:
1. Flossie
2. Parrot Tales
3. Silver Bullet
4. Mojo
5. Kicks

Non-spin:
1.Be Easy
2. Docetto
3. Tenacious
4. Island Time
5. Sabani

SOS:
1. Mental Floss
2. Selah
3. Rolanna Sue

GBCA Club Handicap:
1. Katana      19:30:14
2. Gemini       19:35:30
3. Lil Bit O Sol 19:36:10
4. Figaro        19:38:31

Note: At the party, Other Woman claimed 2nd place in Club Handicap. However the boat is not registered in the Club Handicap class (as required by rule VII in the SI's) so will not be scored. I suppose they also owe Lil Bit O Sol a bottle of rum. ;)
2013 Commodore

Terry Young

Great race and great food at the party, later. My thanks to all that made it happen!

Just a note some boats were not flying there class flag or could not be seen! Quote from the racing instructions ?Club Handicap class flag is bright orange. Yachts racing must fly the correct flags prominently or may not be scored, at the discretion of the race chairman.? When finishing later it will be harder to identify the boat crossing.  Also ?The first yacht in each class to cross the finish line will be the winner of the class and be required to record the next 4 places in her class by legibly recording the boat name and or sail numbers?.  I hope that it?s me taking the numbers, but if not please stay around and take the numbers, if possible let us know how we placed. Many thanks to all. KATANA

daysailor

That was a great race with some great food after it.  I am probably the skipper that Katana is talking about concerning the flag.  I was flying it, but during the race it slid down to the bimini top.  I retied it and pushed it up again.  It slid down again and I didn't notice it.  Can we tie it somewhere other than the backstay?  Mine is almost unreachable.
Daysailor

Eric713

To add a suggestion to Terry Youngs' advice..  I keep a current copy of all registered cruising class boats on board.  If your boat is fortunate enough to finish first, it is easier to match up the sail number then trying to look for a boat name or the elusive flag.  The days are getting shorter which will make identifying names, flags, and sail numbers even more difficult.  Most boats were finished before 745pm.  Last Sept. we had boats finishing at 8:30pm in the dark.  This becomes somewhat challenging for the 1st place boat. If all you do is write down times and sail numbers, we can figure it out later at the party in the light with rum in hand.  Just a thought here...

Bee

There were several spin boats that were not flying flags.  Some placed.

hayesrigging

I will admit that we on mojo did not have a flag on the Backstay.  It was an oversight on my part and unfortunately there is absolutely nothing extra on a Melges 32 that resembles a white flag.  Hopefully most in the spin fleet realizes that a Melges 32 is racing spinnaker!!!!  Next time we will have a white flag!!

Kevin