Wounded Warrior sailing project for 2012

Started by JA, December 28, 2011, 12:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JA

To the GBCA community: my name is Jim Apple and a senior member of GBCA, and I am looking for boat owners to participate in taking disabled veterans out for some leisurely sailing, primarily during the weekends for this upcoming year. They are part of the local Houston chapter of Wounded Warriors, which is a non-profit national organization that helps returning veteran?s adjustment back into civilian life. These young men and women served in Iraq and Afghanistan and made many sacrifices for their units and for their country.  Most of them suffer from wounds that will affect them for the rest of their lives.  I have made contact with the local person who runs the WW's chapter in Houston, who sent out an email, and we have received 18 replies back from veterans who are interested in sailing.  So, we need volunteers from the sailing community to volunteer their time and boat to make this happen.  I am going to use my Islander 36 for the program and if you are interested in participating for a day or on an ongoing basis in this program, please send me your contact information so that we can start putting this together.  You may respond to this post or contact me directly at 713-301-0838.  If you respond to this post, please don't forget your contact information.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Bee

The Stinky boat can do that.  I'm sure the Broad One will be willing to help out with crewing as well

JA

Bee thanks for volunteering and for the people who have contacted me by my cell phone.  Still need volunteers especially the bigger boats.  If you want to to do something that will be very rewarding in 2012, I can't think of a better project to work on.   My contact number is 713-301-0838.

A Pessimist complains about the weather
An Optimist waits for it to change
A Realist adjusts his sails and goes about his day!

gwittich

Jim, we can take somebody along on the icicle races.

Steve Hegesy, chairman of the Cruising Committee and
Gene Harris, chairman of the Captain's Round Table committee have agreed to promote the program at LYC.

Happy New Year,
GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

edthemainsailguy

well I  wish I was an owner but I'm just crew...seems to me we might designate an Icicle or two and a Rum Race or two and maybe give a start time bonus to boats carrying Wounded Warriors...I dunno..just seems like a neat idea...

SeaGypsy

Sea Gypsy is available.  She is a 38' Cheoy Lee, steady and easy to sail.  We live in Lazy Bend so access to the boat is easier than a finger pier.
Let us know what the next step is.

Bill & Carolyn Jenko
s/v Sea Gypsy
bjenko@aol.com
832-226-1586

dc1sail

Jim,  sign us up.   Boat is the J109 Airborne (ex-Surprize) now berthed at the Kemah Boardwalk.  We have dock steps and a wide finger pier; my family will crew.

Dave Christensen
832-439-5113 cell
281-579-3621 home
dc1sail@comast.net

daysailor

Gemini, a C&C 35 would be willing to participate.  I have a bubble head as crew.
Charles Scott 281 -732-3572

Scoundrel

Jim - Count Antares in, Cal 40 with lots of open deck and cockpit space. 

Cheers,

Doug Elmore
713-305-8248
doug.elmore@hp.com

JA

I would like to thank everyone who has volunteered so far!  Still need more boats and if you have any questions will be happy to answer them for you.  I will have John Boerstler, area representative for Wounded Warriors sailing with me next week and will be at the party at GBCA after the race.  John was with the 4th Marine Division in Iraq and is also a disabled veteran.  He went back to Texas A&M after his medical discharge from the Marines and got this degree in Political Science.   Please give him a warm welcome when we introduce him next week at the party. 

Jim Apple
713-301-0838

beverly

Jim, please add Shaken Not Stirred to the list of host boats - J/40 - also at the Kemah Boardwalk.  Walter and I would love to help out.  We'll try and catch up with you at the party this Saturday.  I'll be the one tending the chili and selling GBCA goodies.  Thanks for setting this up!

JA

Beverly, could you take a WW vet Saturday on your boat?  Will have 6 vets out for the 4th race. You can reply or call me at 713-301-0838.

beverly

Hi Jim, I sent you a note - but YES we'd love to take the vets out.  Call my cell 713-857-3692 for details.  Thanks!

ls120

Jim
If you need another boat for the Wounded Warrior sailing project call me at 281 85-7629.  We have a Catalina 250 at Watergate and we are available during the week. 
Larry

Ted S

Am available most anytime.  Call Ted at 281-660-2537.  35' Cheoy Lee sloop.