2012 Rum Race Series

Started by Christopher, May 11, 2012, 09:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Swanson

Athena came in at 1924 in Rum Race #8 last night. We were about one boat length behind Wandering Star.

ChrisK

Wow what a night. Wind-o-plenty. Wet'n wild fun. Thanks GBCA volunteers for a great series!
Past Commodore, 2010

Christopher

Rum Race 8 results:

Spin:
1. Flossie
2. Silver Bullet
3. Pingo
4. Parrot Tales
5. S2 7.9 #53 (Mike McGagh)

Non-spin:
1. Tenacious
2. Dolcetto
3. Good News
4. Danelaw
5. 7 Star

SOS:
1. Selah
2. Mental Floss

Cruising:
1. Skalawag
2. Longshot
3. Wandering Star
4. Athena
5. Katana

Series results through 8 races: Linky

Series trophies to be awarded at the next commodores ball.
Mahalo nui loa

RandySaint

Quote from: ChrisK on September 09, 2012, 06:56:41 PM
Wow what a night. Wind-o-plenty. Wet'n wild fun. Thanks GBCA volunteers for a great series!

How hard was it blowing on that last leg?

Bee

Just as we finished we saw a few gust around 20, but I don't think it got much higher then that.
I was pretty tired by then and was not paying a lot of attention to the instruments.

We had a couple bursts of 8.3 knots over ground and at those angles it takes something on the order of 20
or a little more in true wind to get us going that fast.

The leg from E to J was really fun.  Not sure where those wave packets came from but
we rode a lot of them to 10-12 knots and a couple pushed us above 13 over ground.

Christopher

Quote from: RandySaint on September 10, 2012, 02:19:58 PM
Quote from: ChrisK on September 09, 2012, 06:56:41 PM

How hard was it blowing on that last leg?

Our gauges were showing 20-22 knts pretty regular, with an occasional gust to 24.  I saw the true wind-o-meter register one gust of 26knts.
Mahalo nui loa

Bee

I know it was high but I didn't think it was that high.  My wind speed indicator is kinda small
guess I missed those speeds somewhere along the way.

ChrisK

We were seeing 20 true sustained most of the leg last leg, occasional drops to 18. Boat speed about 7.5. Not Soverel 27 weather but the old girl held together and the big rudder kept us upright. Second leg had some crossing tanker waves. Couldn't quite get the timing right to be surfin' USA!  Crew got wet, but still made time for mojitos on leg two. Fun night! Great series!!
Past Commodore, 2010

LizBiz

We dubbed the last leg "Mr. Toad's Wild and Wet Ride."  It sure was fun though.  :)

~L
Silver Bullet

Grind4Beer

Somewhere in the middle of hitting a few high-9kts on the second leg, after the crew went to much effort to swap up from blade to genoa, I really didn't corellate that with serious windspeed whoopee on the third leg. Maybe just an overdose of enthusiam or something like that.

Great Rum Racing again, wish I could have made it out for more of them.

~