Port of Houston dredge plans near HYC, public comments needed by 6/4

Started by ChrisK, May 22, 2012, 06:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwisehou

Thanks for the youtube laugh!!  Needed that.

The wasting of tax dollars is definitely part of the discussion.  I'm glad to see the discussion going on here, bring on the ideas.

-MW

Bee

Quote from: O. Lyle on May 24, 2012, 09:50:44 AM
If anyone wants to see what the proposal looks like on a map, I've plotted the coordinates in a KMZ file. It opens directly in to Google Earth or any other software that handles KMZ files.

http://ytrewq.com/misc/PoH_Bayport_Dredge.kmz

It really is a substantial amount of the bay up there!

Pretty much what I came up with.  Now why in the hell would anyone want to do something like that to the most recreational part of the Bay?

s/v Amenah

Quote from: Bee on May 24, 2012, 12:50:04 PMPretty much what I came up with.  Now why in the hell would anyone want to do something like that to the most recreational part of the Bay?

I hear ya. The money they save by not having to cross the channel to dump can't be that much. If they looked forward even a few years, they'd realize that the silting and tide erosion maintenance is going to cost far more than whatever savings can be found now.

I wonder if they've done impact statements for tides and surges. At the proposed 3' below MLT, the chop is going to get nasty around that thing. Nothing like pulling out of HYC in to a line of breakers!

BJSailor

Chris,
Could you (or someone) get a screenshot and paste into a .pdf.  Not everyone has the ability to process .kmz files.

Quote from: O. Lyle on May 24, 2012, 09:50:44 AM
If anyone wants to see what the proposal looks like on a map, I've plotted the coordinates in a KMZ file. It opens directly in to Google Earth or any other software that handles KMZ files.

http://ytrewq.com/misc/PoH_Bayport_Dredge.kmz

It really is a substantial amount of the bay up there!
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Bee

Here is an attempt to provide a jpg.  Supposedly there will be an attachment.

Bee

lwisehou

An update from the HYC Flag:

"Thanks to everyone for the letters to the Corps and the TCEQ asking for more time to comment on the Public Notice on the Bayport dredging and spoil disposal project. The Corps has extended the comment period through July 5. We will get you sample letters for the next round of letter writing out soon.

The Port of Houston is hosting a meeting Thursday, May 31st at 6:00 pm at the Port's Administration Building at 12619 Port Road to provide information about the project and answer questions. Keep in mind that this is a Port meeting and we do not know what avenues may be available for expressing our concerns. But if any of you are interested and able, it never hurts to have some HYC members there to ensure our interests are represented.

We are planning to hold a meeting on the topic for HYC members in early June. We will get that date out to you as soon as we have it. In the meantime, members can help by getting the word out about the project and its problems to friends, neighbors, fellow boaters, taxpayers, or anyone else who has a stake in our region's future.
And again, we'll keep you posted as this issue continues to develop."

-MW

Bee

If the powers that be are going to fill up the bay, why not make some serious effort to do it in a way that might produce a net benefit?  One alternative would be to start building up a protective area of land around HYC.  I know HYC would not like the aroma in the beginning but the spoils would eventually create a nice burm around HYC and HYC outlet to give it a bit more protection from IKE like storms in the future.  Starting at Sylvan beach, why not extend something like a jetty out into the bay to create a new venue for those who like to fish and crab. 

Just think what we could have done with the $100 mil they spent on that damned cruise terminal.

edthemainsailguy

Nice ideas Bee...almost anything would beat what the proposed map shows....

harris

i got keel caught on crab trap there that had stone crabs in it
tell fish and game it will hurt the stone crab fisheries

ChrisK

If Bees map is right, thats a huge area.

Is that dredge just for Bayport Channel or all of nearby HSC or both?
Why not put it on the south side of Bayport channel, or pump it over to the other side of HSC (Atkinson Island/Trinity) like they've been doing.

Whaterver is done, a 10 foot deep protected cove to anchor would be nice, throw on some cement picnic tables, palapa shelter, a couple of palm trees, birdwatching stand, maybe even a beach/dinghy dock...and create another 'island' cruising destination other than Redfish.  Sure it would get washed out every couple years but a couple thousand here and there as an ongoing token of goodwill would cover it...
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

I did not do the map, but the one I did was almost the same.  Only a slight difference in the four corners, but just at big.  The map says that the area is 411 acres.  All you need to remember is that a square mile is 640 acres so this is about 64% of a square mile. Including th on lap I suspect the area to avoid will be about 1 square mile.

A large crescent around HYC and a red fish style island might be OK, but that much crap will still take a lot away from the upper bay.

Bee

sailmom

An interesting tidbit buried at the bottom of an article about Hobby Airport:

"At her news conference following the city council meeting, Mayor Parker said that she and Harris County officials are considering the replacement of Jim Edmonds as chair of the Port of Houston Authority.
?I appreciate Mr. Edmonds' service,? Parker said.  ?I think he?s done yeoman?s work at the port.  But, I also believe that it?s a new day and a new opportunity.  There is a new director in Len Waterworth and I would certainly like to explore options in who the chairman should be.?"