LYC Bay Cup I

Started by gwittich, February 01, 2013, 05:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwittich

To facilitate travel plans to the start of Bay Cup I, let me briefly explain our concept:

Plan A - the preferred option for moderate conditions:
Start (not before 10:30 AM) in the eastern part of South Boaters Cut, in Trinity Bay;
This is about 6 NM from Clear Creek Marker "1" and about 7 NM from HYC.
Quadrangle in TB, followed by a "Safety Leg" crossing of the Houston Ship Channel, in compliance with USCG regulation;
resume racing in GB with two additional legs and finish near the Clear Creek Channel. (Length of courses approx. 15 to 17.5 NM)

Plan B - backup for adverse conditions only, such as very high winds, extremely light winds, very low water level etc.
Start and Finish near the Clear Creek Channel; quadrangle in Galveston Bay;

Skippers, please consider the high likelihood of a Trinity Bay start and make plans to attend the skippers' meeting Friday, 7:30 PM, LYC Ballroom.
Thank you for entering this race,
GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

ChrisK

This link might work better for crew waivers
https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registration_form.php?regatta_id=6280

Looking at the weather forecast it looks like winter is fighting back!...Plan B might be in effect...starting Wedenesday, looks like 3-4 days of North winds...ugh!
Past Commodore, 2010

Terry Young

Looks like it?s going to be cold, are you sure this isn?t and Icicle series race! Better get my cold weather gear back out of storage. Terry Young

aj

will the si be online this evening?

Bee

Bumpy Bay Cup I.  We saw a gust to 34knots on the finish leg.  Shook the hell out of the rig. Also saw couple 24's, a 28, and one 32.  Thank goodness it was sunny.  Turned out to be a fun day.

Several of the deeper keels hit the mud coming back in, but Stinger managed to avoid that.  Her keel did drag through the mud while backing into the slip but it was still easy to get in.  I think not starting another race was wise.

Thanks to Gerhard, Dwight, and Chris and the rest of the volunteers for making this happen.  You guys rock.

Maarten

One of the few times that sailing in Texas reminded me of sailing in the North Sea area. We also established the minimum water depth for getting out of Waterford with Joan III (5'6") we barely made it plowing through the mud.
Thanks committee for sticking it out at anchor for everyone to finish and what a pity we didn't do a second race (just joking).
We have some good pictures of ADELANTE: let us know a way to get them to y'all. Hope there are some more pictures as it all looked great!

Bee

Pictures were on the TV in the lounge at LYC.  Who took 'em and where are they?

Thanks

Terry Young

Good call on not doing a second race, the water just got lower and the wind got higher!

Hamburger

We should've had a second race, but the other way around!! Make those Mojo boys work for their money.......

Just kidding. Good decision to send us in when they did!

Some great pictures running on the LYC TV. Let's have a link to them!

JayZ

--agreed, good call by the RC but Banjo Girl still decided to stay out and play in the breeze for the rest of the afternoon.   We didn't hit bottom until approaching our slip back at LYC.  ...we draw about 5'11"  It was pretty windy and a little wet but fun pressing the old girl out there in the snotty stuff.

I too would like to see the pics. 

Quote from: Hamburger on March 04, 2013, 08:50:53 AM
We should've had a second race, but the other way around!! Make those Mojo boys work for their money.......

Just kidding. Good decision to send us in when they did!

Some great pictures running on the LYC TV. Let's have a link to them!
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Terry Young

I thought the little cooler that LYC gave out for trophies was a disappointment, don?t they know that racers like to hang shiny things on their wall. Or is that only me thinking out loud O well I am only crew now so it does not really affect me I guess. Just my thoughs.

Christopher

Quote from: Terry Young on March 04, 2013, 03:38:38 PM

I thought the little cooler that LYC gave out for trophies was a disappointment, don?t they know that racers like to hang shiny things on their wall.

Shiny things collect dust and end up in storage like so much bric-?-brac, having hardly been seen by anyone but the recipient.  Coolers get used and worn out, particularly in public as walking advertisement.  Great idea!  GBCA has done coolers of various sizes before.

My 2?
Mahalo nui loa