LYC Bay Cup I

Started by gwittich, February 01, 2013, 05:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maarten

I thought that trophies were not due until August after the second Bay Cup?

Also: would really like the link to the pictures...who is hiding those?

gwittich

We are working on the pictures.

Re: trophies - Maarten, trophies have been handed out for this race and trophies will be handed out for Bay Cup II in August. I addition, there will be trophies for the overall series winner in each class.
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Maarten

Well that's nice. I hope you kept our trophy; where when can we collect?

BJSailor

Quote from: Terry Young on March 04, 2013, 03:38:38 PM

I thought the little cooler that LYC gave out for trophies was a disappointment, don?t they know that racers like to hang shiny things on their wall. Or is that only me thinking out loud O well I am only crew now so it does not really affect me I guess. Just my thoughs.

Whatever happened to "...the respect and admiration of your peers."?   
Something functional that you'd have out on display (coolers, coasters, thremos bottles, bags) get seen, get used, and give memories of a fun weekend many times more than some pickle dish.  I say well done!!!

How much did you pony up as registration fee for this?  I wonder how close LYC came to break-even?  Few realize the time, effort and expense that goes into something like this.
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Bee

Its always nice to be recognized when you do something worth while, but personally I would not be displeased if they just shook my hand and said job well done.  In 50 years no one will know if any of us ever even received a trophy. Bitching about the quality of the trophies is probably not considered good form.

Oh and Brian, yes, its pretty much true that none of the clubs make any money off these races.  They might make money off the bar if enough of the crew members show up, but they don't make anything off the race fee itself.  The exception may be KWRW and a few other top dollar regattas where the entry fee is around $1,000 but even then its not a sure thing.

We could all help the clubs and race committees by just signing up early.  That would tell them how much they have to spend, give them a good idea about how much they might lose, and at least allow them to get everything organized in a timely manner. Remember, these races are run by volunteers.  They don't get paid but they still have to use their time to make sure everything goes off as planned.  From my experience they always to a pretty good job.  We should all spend a lot more time thanking them.

Terry Young

I guess am the only one that likes trophy?s I still have many that I have won in my life and proudly display them at my home, and they often remind me of many good times, and friends and a lot of hard work, to win it. I to, do a lot of volunteering for my community, so I understand that most sailing committees go without any thanks, but I assure you that I am one who always has given thanks, but if I think that something might need to be done a little different I bring it up. Committees need our input, hopefully positive but also things that can be improved, both inputs are important. Sorry if any got their feelings hurt, it was not met to, but if anyone feels as I do, I hope they will speak up. But maybe I am alone with this thought. On another note, I to would like to know the link for the race photos.

ChrisK

Quote from: Bee on March 04, 2013, 08:21:57 PM
...We could all help the clubs and race committees by just signing up early.  That would tell them how much they have to spend, give them a good idea about how much they might lose, and at least allow them to get everything organized in a timely manner...

Well said!

Past Commodore, 2010

Andrea

Generally, after a race, LYC volunteer pictures can be found by doing a search of google web albums using the name of the race.  The photos currently in the album are from multiple folks including Linda Hill who was on Shaken Not Stirred on the race course, Diane Livingstone on the signal boat, and Dwight Bengtson on a mark boat.

Maarten

Photographers thanks for posting the pictures. Part of the fun is reliving a glorious day sailing during the week by looking at the race again. Number of very good shots showing how Saturday developed. This is the best trophy!

Bee

I like the photos Andrea and I really thank you for them, but I think it would be better if an equivalent to what the Lacy's do could be found.  Their website always stays the same and is very convenient to view.  One can bookmark it and even download the large versions whenever one wants. The boys in Dago

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdyc/sets/72157631799134641/

did the same for the North Americans.  Yeah Stinger pretty much blew that but we got some nice shots and all we really had to do was give credit.

gwittich

Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

JayZ

Quote from: gwittich on March 09, 2013, 05:30:02 PM
Additional photos: Flickr Link

Gerhard, that is some camera you have there.  Amazing detail in those photos!
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Maarten

Indeed, with all the motion on the committee boat great picture. Jay: good use of the Solent stay (and yout large number of crew!)