Auto Helm 3000

Started by Eric713, February 15, 2013, 08:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric713

The clutch lever for my auto-pilot snapped in half.  Is there anyone who has an old model 3000 they would be willing to sell parts from?  If not, I'd like to borrow this part and have a metal duplicate made. I've gone through 3 in 13 years because they are poorly designed and tend to break in half. Any help would be appreciated.  I've checked E-bay, Raymarine, etc. to no avail..

Kevin Box

I left an entire unit on the bottom of the Pacific.  I can give approximate coordinates.

Eric713

Just for that, I just smited you..

Charles

Quote from: Kevin Box on February 15, 2013, 02:45:19 PM
I left an entire unit on the bottom of the Pacific.  I can give approximate coordinates.

;D
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

BJSailor

Don't smite Kevin - he's got more time under sail than most of us.  Or is it time under rum???:-)  
You are more than welcome to mine.  When our C&C was totalled in Ike the wreck ended up somewhere in Long Island.  You can walk the marinas up there and try and find it!  The new owner is a nice guy.
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Eric713

Constructive replies would be preferred.  Just added two more smites! Somebody has got to have one of those gizmos I can borrow to get cloned.

Eric713

Scott.  Thanks for the input.  I looked at it and it's not the same part. Raymarine must have changed the design. There are two of those at the used part place on FM2094.

Bee

Eric:  If you have both pieces shouldn't a decent machine shop be able to make you one from those?  Looking at the part on eBay even if that lever was in two, cutting a new one from a pattern obtained from both parts should still be possible.

Eric713

Bee.  Good suggestion.  I already thought of that.  I can only locate half of the part.

Bee

Ahh.  Too bad, but if its the handle you still should be able to be creative and get a machine shop to make one.  Key is to get the attachment right and then play with the rest of the handle.

ChrisA

Ed, I have to replace the wheel unit for my ST4000. I think it has the same clutch handle. But, I won't be doing it for a month or so. When I do, you are welcome to the old one to use as a model. They do come up on E-Bay fairly regularly.

Eric713

Thanks Chris.  I may take you up on that.  I don't think it's the same model part though.