Started by Christopher, February 25, 2013, 09:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

March 23, 2013

NOR: Linky

Registrants: Linky
Mahalo nui loa

Sailchick

We've received a few email inquiries and someone has already signed up for our inaugural Kiteboarding event.

Kiteboarding is an event that falls under the jurisdiction of USAF and was, at one point last year, being considered for the 2016 Olympics.  They have since come to a different decision but we are still wanting to support the kiteboarders in the Galveston Bay area and should the Olympic committee decide differently in the future, we will have experience running an IKA sanctioned event!

Plus, we'll be cooking ribs on the levee and enjoying libations.  Come out and join us!
GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

Sailaway

Did a search on kiteboard regattas and found this one.  This will be fun to watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xia3KvR5l0A

Don't know if we can get Tramp to the levee but will try to get something out there for pictures and drink...

http://www.houstonkiteboarding.com/

Sailchick

We are on the official Texas City Calendar...officially.

http://www.texas-city-tx.org/Calendar.htm

Sailchick

Sailchick

Karbach Brewing Company donated 4 cases of beer last night for the event!!!

Thanks Karbach!  (enjoy a nice Hopadillo or Rodeo Clown the next time you're out!!!)

Sailchick

Competitor's meeting will happen at 9:30 AM at the registration tent on the Texas City Levee this Saturday, March 23.

Sailchick

Due to predicted wind conditions --- The RIB Regatta will be on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  Registration starts at 8:30 AM and the competitor's briefing will be at 9:30 on the Texas City Levee.

Sailaway

Loading the pictures Scott and I took today.  Scott got up close and personal and have some really nice shot.  Just started loading to keep checking back.  That was fun to watch!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets

Enjoy,

mv Tramp
sv Flying Kiss

Scott - sailsong@swbell.net
John - jlacy@threefatbrothers.com

ChrisK

Wow! That was quite an event.
All the competitors were really stoked about it.
RC did and incredible job despite some trying conditions

Check out the Lacy pics, especially pages 3-4. As soon as they saw the camera they would pull some big air.
Scott actually waded out in knee deep water to get the up close pics.
Awesome!!
Past Commodore, 2010

Deckhand

It was incredible being out in the water and that close to the action. A few times I thought I was going over backwards as the competitors came by and I followed with the camera as they went up and all but over me. Lots of fun until the walk back  :P. Jody and Chris D, you both did a great job getting everyone togeather and making it work in those conditions. Thanks to all who helped out ( and there were many!).
Scott
GBCA Commodore 2014

Sailchick

Let me make a list so we can recognize!

Charles Shade
Neil O'Sullivan
Brock Callen (expert on the east coast)
Corrie Lambert
Fernando Namerow and Woreman Design (for the posters)
Phil Midler with XL Kites
Chris Dees
Kelley Dees
John Mather
Gerhard Wittich
Kevin Bednar
Joshua Ghormley
Scott Lacy
John Lacy
Mary Miller
Chris Kelley
Mike Sergi (for cooking!)
Scott Tuma
Christina Tuma
Chris Alk
Charles Broaddus
Walter Caldwell
Beverly Caldwell
Andrea Pola
Michele Pola
Bob Melear
Linda Hill
Amy Gray
Patrick Fiega
Colleen Fiega

gwittich

Pioneering work, Jody and excellent race organization, Chris!
A few observations from the finish line:
Kite boarding gentlemen (and ladies) don't go to weather, however, they may cross the finish line airborne.
They may crash shortly before the finish and the kite may finish three minutes before the rest of the assembly, i.e. board and rider.
In 20 knots of wind good riders will complete a two mile downwind slalom course in about six minutes - doing 20 knots through water and air.
However, if a rider looses his board and approaches the finish with kite only, he is making about 0.2 knots through the water and the race may last about as long as an icicle race.
Racers wore number tags, which were mostly washed off in 20 to 25 knots of wind.
Here's how Kevin and I scored them:
First finisher: "Green Pants"
Second: "Grey Suit"
Third: "Orange Kite" etc.
Special thanks to Kevin for heavy duty anchor yanking and for spotting and retrieving a lost kite board.
Gerhard Wittich
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Bee

This really looked cool.  I viewed some of the photos and was really impressed.  There is one sequence from the start up to the windward mark that probably could be made into a pretty neat slide show --- if someone took his time.

There is also a video on SA that shows one of these races in SF Bay. The course length there is definitely more then 2 miles and they are clearly doing on the order of 20 knots the entire way.  The start there is truly spectacular. Would be fund to be on the water to watch.

Wished I had come out.  Would have been fun.

Maybe next year.

BJSailor

Quote from: Bee on March 25, 2013, 02:47:10 PM

Wished I had come out.  Would have been fun.

Maybe next year.

There are a lot of people who would pay money to see Bee strapped into a kite ;D :o ::)

Very glad to see that this was a success!!!  Well done!
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.