Rum Races 2020

Started by STuma, May 11, 2020, 02:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

yes, Rum Races will start on May 30th...

Sailing Instructions are being finalized with some needed changes.

There will not be an official post race social with awards until further notice.
cheers...
Scott

STuma

Sailing Instructions have been posted....

https://gbca.org/resources/Documents/2020/2019%20Rum%20Race%20Series%20Sailing%20Instructions%202019-05-19.pdf

Or, just the front page of the web site that got you here.

Please be sure to read them.. We have inserted a "bonus" for everyone if you pay attention...

at this moment... there will NOT be an official post Rum Race party May 30th. We will update about Rum Race #2 at a later date.

cheers...
Scott

Rmiller1

Scott, is there a link to the short-handed class rules somewhere? The SIs state "class will sail in accordance with the GBCA Shorthanded rules" so I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. Did I read correctly that shorthanders use their normal PHRF ratings? If so, given that we don't subdivide the class, are we free to use our spin or our nonspin rating any given week? I'm still working out how to use my spin since Trick Bag is most definitely not set up for singlehanding.

STuma

Quote from: Rmiller1 on May 21, 2020, 10:49:46 AM
Scott, is there a link to the short-handed class rules somewhere? The SIs state "class will sail in accordance with the GBCA Shorthanded rules" so I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. Did I read correctly that shorthanders use their normal PHRF ratings? If so, given that we don't subdivide the class, are we free to use our spin or our nonspin rating any given week? I'm still working out how to use my spin since Trick Bag is most definitely not set up for singlehanding.

We will have the Shorthanded Rules up very shortly... I have consulted an expert in streamlining the rules from the SOS-TX and a few other shorthanded venues.
cheers...
Scott

STuma

Please double check your start time in the SIs.

It was brought to my attention that I had attached the wrong PHRF matrix.
cheers...
Scott

Rmiller1

Quote from: STuma on May 22, 2020, 08:16:15 AM
We will have the Shorthanded Rules up very shortly... I have consulted an expert in streamlining the rules from the SOS-TX and a few other shorthanded venues.

Good deal, thanks!

dslance

I understand there is no post race party.  But will there be the standard prizes awarded? ;D

Charles

Yes!  They will leave the prizes on the patio! ;D
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

I really like the new courses (SDR, Moonlight Serenade, and New Moon Swing).  As I sat here editing my routes I got to thinking.  Yeah I know  that is quite dangerous.  I am not recommending this for 2020 but why not combine the SDR, the moonlight SDR, the new moon SDR, and maybe one more into a series.  Each of these courses have different advantages for different boat designs.  Screaming reachers can do well when the number of reaches is large.  Boats that don't reach well can do well on days when the reaches are small.  I think this would be very interesting.  Would not have to change any of the course dates to fold them into the Rum (or Icicle) series.

Really great work guys.  Thanks.

Bee

Hamburger No 1

I really like the SDR course as well (haven't sailed the moon-light-or-not series). Only issue might be that the course crosses the Bayport Channel.

Xavier

If we want more boats from HYC to be part of these races the SDR courses are the way to go. These races suppose to be fun and we want participation so why not create a Cruzan course that can integrate HYC as well.

Bee

I thought the same thing the first time I did the SDR.  I also believe this will get a lot more boats out.

Quote from: Xavier on May 27, 2020, 10:11:10 AM
If we want more boats from HYC to be part of these races the SDR courses are the way to go. These races suppose to be fun and we want participation so why not create a Cruzan course that can integrate HYC as well.

Bee

That is true but it is on the boat owners to keep that safe.

Quote from: Hamburger No 1 on May 26, 2020, 11:31:31 AM
I really like the SDR course as well (haven't sailed the moon-light-or-not series). Only issue might be that the course crosses the Bayport Channel.

STuma

I have added an attachment to the Sailing Instructions for Rum Races; Attachment #4 picture of Mid-Bay #8 marker.

I cannot guarantee the same number of pelicans will be on the mark when you round, but it is the same mark.
cheers...
Scott

Xavier

Boats do not have to cross the Bayport channel, the starting 2nd line for HYC can be the low range which is close enough to HYC.