2013 Rum Race Series

Started by Christopher, May 17, 2013, 12:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

The infamous GBCA Rum Races start up again May 25th and run through September 7th.

Race Date
1     May 25
2     June 8
3     June 29
4     July 6
5     July 20
6     August 10
7     August 24
8     September 7

New this year, separation of the Sprit from the Non-Sprit boats in the Spinnaker class.

SI's
Club Cruising Registration
Club Cruising List
Mahalo nui loa

hayesrigging

What about the boats that can carry both sym and asym spinnakers?  There are symetric boats rated to carry asymetric (code zero's) as well. 

ShakenNotStirred

Quote from: hayesrigging on May 17, 2013, 11:09:59 AM
What about the boats that can carry both sym and asym spinnakers?  There are symetric boats rated to carry asymetric (code zero's) as well. 
Note that the spin class is divided into Sprit and Non-sprit, not sym vs. asym.
We are doing this split as a trial for this series.
2013 Commodore

hayesrigging

I think for the rum races that's a good idea because of the triangle format.  I think on w/l racing sprit and non sprit boats should not be separated out. 

Does both the first place sprit and the first place non sprit boat need to take next five finishers then??  Class flag is the same so could get confusing for some. 

Christopher

Quote from: hayesrigging on May 17, 2013, 11:05:54 PM
Does both the first place sprit and the first place non sprit boat need to take next five finishers then??  Class flag is the same so could get confusing for some.  

Yes.
      The first yacht in each class to cross the finish line will be the winner of the class and be required to record the next 4 places in her class.

The white flag signifies that the boat is racing with a spinnaker and has started according to its PHRF spin rating, as opposed to racing as non-spin under a dark flag. The pole arrangement hardware on the bow of the boat differentiates the two classes.  Unless significant modifications are permanently added to, or removed from the bow of a J22 or J80, they cannot be recorded as finishing in the same class.

I didn't see the need to create another color flag that might not be easily found aboard a boat.  T-shirts or trash bags make for fine class flags in a pinch, but they don't normally come in green, blue, pink, yellow or whatever friggin color.  Argument could also be made that another color might be confused as 'dark' such that the boat is recorded as finishing in the non-spin class.
Mahalo nui loa

ChrisK

Past Commodore, 2010

Christopher

Rum Race 1 (5/25) results:

Cruising Club:
1. Royal Crescent
2. Tom Foolery
3. Fire Water
4. Baltic Raider
5. Figaro *

SOS:
1. Mental Floss
2. Selah

Non-spin:
1. Be Easy
2. Big D
3. Further
4. Rolana Sue
5. Gran Creux

Spin Non-Sprit:
1. Silver Bullet
2. Kenai
3. Student Driver
4. Picante
5. Millennium Express

Spin Sprit:
1. Pingo
2. French Connection
3. Infinity
4. Stinger
5. Airborne

Series results through the 1st race: Linky
Mahalo nui loa

gwittich

Shaken finished after Baltic and before Figaro.
If Shaken sailed in the orange class she was fifth, otherwise Figaro was fifth.
Figaro finished at 7:54:17
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

ShakenNotStirred

Shaken raced PHRF non-spin.
2013 Commodore

Christopher

Quote from: gwittich on May 31, 2013, 10:11:25 AM
Shaken finished after Baltic and before Figaro.
If Shaken sailed in the orange class she was fifth, otherwise Figaro was fifth.
Figaro finished at 7:54:17

Thanks
Pictures confirm the finish order but could not distinguish flag colors.
First place DSQ'd themselves in admirable Corinthian fashion when they realized they started according to the wrong PHRF rating.  Their finish listing did not go beyond 5 places.
Mahalo nui loa

Christopher

Rum Race 2 (6/8) results:

Cruising Club:
1. Baltic Raider
2. Firewater
3. Leopard
4. Clear Lake Sailing Club (aka Royal Crescent)
5. Figaro

SOS:
1. Shaken Not Stirred
2. Mental Floss
TLE

Non-spin:
1. Rolana Sue
2. Rowdy
3. Big D
4. Tom Foolery
TLE

Spin Non-Sprit:
1. Picante
2. Kenai
3. Petite Helene
4. Silver Bullet
5. Zoom

Spin Sprit:
1. Mojo (24)
2. ONO
3. Pingo
4. French Connection
5. Cyrano

Series results through the 2nd race: Linky
Mahalo nui loa

Sailaway

Here are the photos!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157634027815850/

or

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets

Thanks to Denise and Kelly for the help with pictures and on the water boat service on Tramp!

m/v Tramp
s/v Flying Kiss

Christopher

Rum Race 3 (6/29) results:

Cruising Club:
1. Baltic Raider
2. Leopard
3. Firewater
4. Figaro
5. Liberty

SOS:
1. Selah
2. Mental Floss
3. Sea Gypsy

Non-spin:
1. Be Easy
2. Big D
3. Danelaw
4. Grand Cru
5. Phoenix

Spin Non-Sprit:
1. Millennium Express
2. Revolution
3. Soling 543
4. Petite Helene
5. Adios Dos

Spin Sprit:
1. Gambler
2. Mojo (24)
3. Hamburg
4. ONO
5. Pingo

Series results through the 3nd race: Linky
Mahalo nui loa

Deckhand

Here is the link to Rum Race #3 photos....http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157634416450998/ . It was nice to see some new boats out yesterday, even in the heat! Mrs. Airbourne and crew did a great job on the fixin's for the after party. These photos are 30% of the original size. If any pictures are wanted of the 100% size, send me an email at sailsong@swbell.net and I will send them to you ( I can only send a couple at a time due to the size).
Enjoy!
Scott Lacy
Participate,Volunteer,Support
GBCA Commodore 2014

Terry Young

Where did the barn go? I always look for the big brown barn( rig house) as a visual to find the ?J? mark, it through me for a loop, as I believe it did to many others. Just a word of caution about a hundred feet north of what left of the barn is about a six inch pipe that sticks out of the water about two foot, at a very low tide. It did have a very small orange float on it, but it was hard to see. Terry Young(FireWater crew)