2013 Rum Race Series

Started by Christopher, May 17, 2013, 12:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Yes, rig removal has started.  "J" mark is also scheduled to be removed.  Timing is unknown. 

So, be aware of the possibility of changes to the SI to account for change of mark, coordinates and possible related distance and start time table changes.  If a change is made, an announcement will be broadcast.

Hopefully we can finish this year before the change becomes neccesary.
Mahalo nui loa

Bee

Barn was torn down.

Stinger rounded J and set the kite.  Just about the time we got it up we hit something very hard and very metallic.  Daniel dove it when we got back to the dock and looks like we put a relative small dent in the front of both the keel and rudder.  Not sure what we hit but it was not a pleasant feeling.  We have taken this route many times but this was the first time we have hit anything there.  Did not have a GPS up so could not mark it.

Terry Young

Bee

Any idea how fare below the water line were the keel was the damage? Terry

Bee

No but will find out when my diver does his deed on Friday.  I will also ask Daniel to see if he has any idea.

edthemainsailguy

seems like it would have been under 4 feet if it dinged the rudder also....

Bee

Daniel says about half way down and about 6 in long.  That would put is at about 3.5 feet below the water line.

Terry Young

Ouch Bee, no one racing is that shoal draft, looks like you found the surprise in the cereal box before anyone else did, hope all will be well on Stinger before the next race. I would be nice if someone marked the post better that I talked about earlier, before we do RR# 4 this time when we round ?J?, it may be getting dark and hard to see. Just my thoughts. Terry Y.(FireWater crew)

Eric713

The bay is finally being cleaned up. Approximately nine abandoned platforms are being removed from the bay.  This includes the two large platforms north of Redfish as well as J mark. Yes, I said J mark. I believe "H" is on the hit list as well. Check out the TMCA website for photos of the removal and a list of derelict platforms. 

Christopher

Rum Race 4 (7/6) results:

Cruising Club:
1.Royal Cresent
2. Baltic Raider
3. Firewater
4. Figaro
5. Leopard

SOS:
1. Selah
2. Mental Floss

Non-spin:
1. Be Easy
2. Catalina 22 #296
3. Seven Star
4. Hi Hopes
5. Wheee Doggie

Spin Non-Sprit:
1. Silver Bullet
2. Kenai
3. Revolution
4. Toccata
5. Zoom

Spin Sprit:
1. Mojo
2. Stinger
3. Pingo
4. ONO
5. J70 #182

Series results through the 4th race: Linky
Mahalo nui loa

Deckhand

Here are the pictures from last nights race (07-06-13) http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157634536423098/ . All the sets can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/ . It turned out to be a beautiful evening with great food for the after race party. These are 30% of the originals. If interested in the 100% send me an email and I can send you a few at a time; sailsong@swbell.net . Thanks to my crew for helping with pictures and keeping me on the boat! It was "rollie pollie" (nautical term Denise!) at anchor. We almost spilled our drinks ;D! Brother John is up to almost a million hits on his Flickr account. Thanks for lookin'.
Scott Lacy
Participate, Volunteer, Support
GBCA Commodore 2014

ChrisK

Great racing. Lots of breeze for RR4. Great pictures! Thanks volunteers!!
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

Indeed.  Fabulous pictures, fabulous winds, and some really great food at the end.

Thanks for the pictures
Thanks for all the volunteers
Thanks for the food.
Thanks for the rum

GBCA is still the best.

Quest

J mark removal began today.  I posted a pic on FB about it, but they had about 20% of it gone by this evening.

Bee

Darn. First the barn then J then ...

So Chris what mark are we going to round on the 20th?

South Cut 8?

Be creative.

Charles

Quote from: Bee on July 08, 2013, 10:13:10 AM
Darn. First the barn then J then ...

So Chris what mark are we going to round on the 20th?

South Cut 8?

Be creative.

I would also vote for South Cut #8.  We know where it is and it should be permanent.
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les