2013 Rum Race Series

Started by Christopher, May 17, 2013, 12:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Quote from: STuma on July 23, 2013, 05:46:11 PM

I have mixed reaction on the new mark... if I have a boat that points well (and don't have to tack for it), it's great... a more cruising design can get hosed by having to put in 2 extra tacks.  Don't have much of a choice, unless we start rounding Red Fish....  Good job ya'll..

So, being able to "fetch" the first mark has been the predominate comment/complaint I've heard (here and at various bars) with the new course.  Granted, it doesn't make for a challenging course; but, any given Saturday the breeze will either be right or wrong for doing so.  It just so happened to be perfect for the first day of the new course mark.  Same was true on the third rum run this year that allowed our boat to fetch the old J mark without a tack. We are often able to fetch the E mark on the first leg of the reverse course. I understand that the ten degree shift to the left makes it easier in our prevailing SE breezes; but, every Saturday is different.  Part of the joys/frustrations  ??? with fixed mark triangles and variable winds.

I went to look at a suggested alternate mark - a reef marker, in ten feet of water, about half way between the old J and redfish.  Possible consideration for the future.  EXCEPT  :o  that I also found lots of trash stump pilings in the vicinity of the old J and Barn rigs.  I don?t think they are completely finished removing the old rigs.  This would be real dangerous to send boats through this mine field.  Keep a watchful eye out while out there.

I also went to investigate a reported ?pipe? in the vicinity of South Boat Cut 8.  It's approximately 150-200 yards ENE of the channel marker.  I found it to be a PVC encrusted with barnacles.  It?s not solid as it rocks with the waves.  I think it?s just another one of those oyster bed shoal markers.  I figure this is OK as boats rounding the channel mark 8 are going to be doing so as tight as possible; not 150 yards out, unless they are ten boats wide, and that happens every weekend.

For now, we will continue with the current course marks until we find a more suitable rounding mark to the SE.  Which may not be until next season.
Mahalo nui loa

Bee

According to Stingers track yesterday the course from Kemah 2 to E (bearing 38 degrees same as old course)  the on board TWA ranged from 85 to about 110 degrees.  Definitely a reach.  From E to SC8 (bearing 152 vs 151 for old course)   average wind was around 130 so TWA here was 20 degrees.  Unless you have a red-hot modern rig of some kind fetching the mark required going up wind just 20 degrees off. By the time we rounded SC8 heading to Kemah 2 (bearing 278 vs 288 for old course) the wind had shifted to maybe 140 or 145 resulting in a TWA ranging from around 150 to 165 degrees.  Definitely a run.  Note that the only real difference between SC8 and J is approximately 10 degrees.

For Stinger this resulted in a hot reach (code 0),  a beat with a (genoa), and finally a run (full PHRF kite).  I can't see a big difference between this and the old J mark runs.  Maybe my old brain is loosing it but I seem to recall this kind of hot reach - beat - deep run being the rule rather then the exception when J was still part of the course.  Can those 10 degrees make that big of a difference with the typical wind variability we see?  Maybe but I'm certainly not sure. In the same wind conditions, running the old course would have resulted in virtually the same conditions with maybe just a bit deeper run from J back to Kemah 2.

Given the usual sea breezes SSE winds (160) we would be looking at TWA from Kemah of 62 to SC8 vs 52 to J.  Can't see any favors here unless one points lower then 52 degrees.  You can do the math for just about any alternative and draw you own conclusions but being able to point is always going to be a huge factor in how well you do.  You don't have to all that fast if you can point like gang busters and you don't make mistakes. BTW, the winds on Saturday (~125-130)  would have produce TWA of 27 and 17 resulting in a beat and at least one tack for everyone.

What am I missing?javascript:void(0);

Christopher

Rum Race 6 (8/10) results:

Correction:
- Tomfoolery was overlooked but takes 2nd in SOS.
- Antares was not sailing in Cruising Club, so Royal Crescent takes 5th in CC.
Confirmed by review of Lacy pictures and skippers.

Cruising Club:
1. Firewater
2. Baltic Raider
3. Escape Hatch
4. Shaken Not Stirred
5. Royal Crescent

SOS:
1. Selah
2. Tomfoolery
3. Mental Floss
4. Sea Gypsy

Non-spin:
1. Catalina 22 Ella Grace
2. Catalina 22 #296 Wildcat
3. Tenacious
4. Big D
5. Be Easy

Spin Non-Sprit:
1. Parrot Tales
2. Trick Bag
3. Revolution
4. Kenai
5. Student Driver

Spin Sprit:
1. Pingo
2. Leading Edge
3. Stinger
4. Airborne
5. Infinity

Series results through the 6th race: Linky
Mahalo nui loa

Bee

The attached file is a velocity plot over Stinger's course in Rum6.  Sorry about the kmh but then who does knots?

To get the speed in knots just multiple by .54.  When you do you will see that with the code 0 we hit in excess of 8.5 knots going up to E.  Rest of the race is pretty unremarkable. :)

Deckhand

I finally got Tramp's pictures loaded up. Flickr seemed slow tonite. I was a fine day on the water yesterday and a great sailors stew for the afterparty. The link to the set is http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157635029552755/ and the link to all the sets is http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/ . These are 30% of original. If you want the 100%, email me at sailsong@swbell.net.
Enjoy!
Scott
GBCA Commodore 2014

jwells

Thanks to Marilyn Horton (Firewater) for her tasty Sailor Stew and to Stuart Lindow for helping Marilyn and Janelle Wells set up. And thanks to Stuart for your electrical expertise. Another great Rum Race and party.

Deckhand

This coming weekend August 24 is RR #7. Standard course. Getting close to the end and it seems all the classes are up for grabs. Make sure you renew your senior membership to be eligible for the end of series awards. Heck, just renew your memberships to help this great Club be better ;D! At the after party, we will have shirts and GBCA glassware for sale. We have some left over/never to be had again/rare, 2010 Veracruz T's and Polo shirts. Also some Race to the Border, Performance Cup (women's), & TRW shirts. Get'em while you can. Hopefully the weather holds and it is a beat to the SBC8 ::).
GBCA Commodore 2014

shawn

Stuck on a rig

Could be a new country song.  110 miles southeast of New Orleans on Horn Mountain.  Chris how about a seaplane ride no choppers flying.

Walter put some ductape on the hull and GO FIREWATER!!!!
Shawn
Shawn
Semi True Story

shawn

Hey

If anyone picked up Firewaters' (lifesling?) floating white rectangular canvas bag that was attached to the boat during bay cup 2 there is a rum drink reward for its return.

It was knocked off the boat during the race and we were unable to retrieve it.
Thanks
Shawn
Shawn
Semi True Story

Christopher

Rum Race 7 results - August 24, 2013

Spin Non-Sprit:
1. Silver Bullet
2. Kenai
3. Trick Bag
4. Parrot Tales
5. Revolution

Spin Sprit:
1. Leading Edge
2. Stinger
3. Airborne
4. Mojo (Melges 24)
5. Water Nymph (Melges 24)

Non-Spin:
1. Ella Grace
2. Wild Cat
3. Seventh Star
4. Tenacious
5. Big D

SOS:
1. Selah
2. Alert
3. Mental Floss
4. Sea Gypsy

Cruising:
1. Baltic Raider
2. Escape Hatch
3. Firewater
4. Chiron
5. Leopard

Series results through the 7th race: Linky
Mahalo nui loa

ChrisK

Great time for #7. Racing into the sunset was fantastic.

Looks like some close races to be determined on RR#8!
Past Commodore, 2010

Deckhand

What a nice day on the bay! A special thank you to Beverly Caldwell for cooking and setting up the Taco Bar so Walter, Paolo, and I could take "Shaken Not Stirred" out for a great sail. Big learning for me. When I got free time I was able to get a few pictures, http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157635224650779/ . If you would like the 100%, send me an email at sailsong@swbell.net. Free as always.
  Another thanks to Marilyn Horton for helping cleaning up after the after-party along with Charles Broadus and Kevin Bednar. Marilyn has cooked twice this year and also helps with cleanup every chance she gets. Thanks! Linda Hall also helped with selling merchandise and I am sure countless others who help make this club great.
  Rum Race #8 in two weeks. It looks close!
Scott
GBCA Commodore 2014

Bee

Thanks for the shots.  Was nice to see a few great shots of Stinger out there.

Terry Young

Hats off to Escape Hatch, we tried to roll them on the last leg but they were having no part of it, they had the work hard to keep second place and they earned it. Great job, welcome to the game, you doing well, keep it up. Terry Young (FireWater crew)