2013 Rum Race Series

Started by Christopher, May 17, 2013, 12:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwittich

I believe there is still a PVC pipe within two boat lengths (east) of marker 8.
South cut marker 5 is clear and will be used for Bay Cup.
GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Bee

Don't like those pipes. If 5 is clear I will vote for that.

According to Kirby the damage to my keel and rudder is more significant then we thought.  Apparently broke through the gel coat on the keel and is a bit more ragged then Daniel could tell.  He will take a closer look at the rudder but it would appear that Stinger will eventually have  to come out of the water for repairs.  Not going to rush this but hopefully will be repaired before J-Fest.

Christopher

Quote from: Bee on July 08, 2013, 02:01:31 PM
Don't like those pipes. If 5 is clear I will vote for that.

Quote from: gwittich on July 08, 2013, 12:58:28 PM
I believe there is still a PVC pipe within two boat lengths (east) of marker 8.
South cut marker 5 is clear and will be used for Bay Cup.
GW

I was planning on South Boaters Cut 8.

There may be PVC near 8 which you can see, but there are also shallows near 5 that can not be seen as one heads to E or approaches from E and would be problematic for the deep keel boats (don't ask how I know).  5 also puts the boats that much closer to the ship channel which ranks as an obstruction and reduces the playing field for tactical maneuverability.
Mahalo nui loa

Christopher

"J" mark is removed as of the week of July 8th.
(see post about derelict rig removal by GLO)
They started working on J Sunday after our July 6th race and all work should be completed by July 21st.  We were expecting this and had an alternate plan, but did not have a hard date as to when it was going to happen. 

Amended SI's : Linky

Amendments:

• "J" is replace by "South Boaters Cut 8"
  • Course distance is changed to 11.2nm
  • PHRF Start times are adjusted accordingly

Starting with the race on July 20th
Mahalo nui loa

Bee

OK.  Sounds good.  8 it is.

BTW Kirby surveyed damaged to Stinger:

Damage to the keel from about 1' below keel attachment all the way to the bottom.
That's about 4 feet of keel damage.

Damage to the rudder about 1' long down to the bottom

He is attempting to put a patch on to give me some time to do TRW before we pull her.

I hope the rudder is not completely full of h2o.

This is why I do not like pipes.

Terry Young

Note to myself - Pipes in water equal, bad mojo!!! 

Best of luck on your keel patch Bee! Remember a few years back of a boat(CW) with a damaged keel drop off in the Gulf, and bad things happened. Be safe! Terry

Deckhand

Rum Race #5 is this weekend. Don't forget the change to the SI's. Ben and Carolin Miller of BM Boat Works are providing Dogs and Fixin's for the after race party. Tell Ben and Carolin thanks and don't forget to patronize all of our sponsors. We have many great small business operators that provide great service and help GBCA provide great service to YOU! Support all of our sponsors so they will support GBCA. While I am on my soap box, check your membership. If your membership has lapsed and you are active in racing, consider renewing your membership. If your Crew Membership has been rewarding, consider upgrading to a Senior Member. If your Senior Membership has been rewarding, considering Volunteering or running for a Board Member or Flag Officer position. Help make GBCA " The Place to Race" , BM Boat Works is this weekend!
Thanks!
Ok, off my soap box.
Scott Lacy
Volunteer Cordinator/Board Member
Participate, Volunteer, Support
GBCA Commodore 2014

Stellar of Course

Great day of racing and great Dogs afterwards.
Thanks to all

Stellar of Course finished at 7:25:06

Ron E

Deckhand

What a turn out after a beautiful day on the bay. Thanks to BM Boat Works for providing the dogs and fixins. Carolin Miller and her daughter Catelyn did a great job of cooking up the dogs. I did a bad job of estimating the number of competitors showing up for the party, my deepest apologies. CJ Jenko made 19 dozen Ginger Snap Cookies, and when I left, they were almost gone! Tramp did not make it out yesterday as I was helping with the after race party. Hope to see you all at TRW!
Scott Lacy
Participate, Volunteer, Support
GBCA Commodore 2014

Christopher

What a beautiful day on the bay.  It was great to see 60 boats out racing again, followed by a large crowd at the clubhouse.  Thanks to the volunteers and the Millers for the 'yachty dogs'  which were obviously good as they were gone in no time.

So, how did you like the new course/mark?

Rum Race 5 (7/20) results:

Cruising Club:
1. Other Woman
2. Baltic Raider
3. farfrumworkin
4. Gremlin
5. Firewater

SOS:
1. Mental Floss
2. Selah
3. Sea Gypsy

Non-spin:
1. Catalina 22 Ella Grace
2. Catalina 22 #296
3. Big D
4. Wheee Dogggie
5. Phoenix

Spin Non-Sprit:
1. Student Driver
2. Parrot Tails
3. Kenai
4. Petite Helene
5. Outrageous

Spin Sprit:
1. Mojo
2. Pingo
3. Stinger
4. Parsons Project
5. J70 #182 (Freight Train)

Series results through the 5th race: Linky
Mahalo nui loa

BJSailor

Thought I'd let you all know, you made a huge impression on a very young sailor Saturday evening.  A family from Grapevine was down here for Texas Youth Race Week with their son who is new to sailing (Optimist Green Fleet for those who know).  They were on the boardwalk having dinner when the Rum Race fleet was sailing back in and this boy was hanging over the railing naming the boat types and going on and on about which boat was a faster racer than the other. 

Another example of how we all influence sailors of all ages.  Well done gang:-)
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

STuma

I have mixed reaction on the new mark... if I have a boat that points well (and don't have to tack for it), it's great... a more cruising design can get hosed by having to put in 2 extra tacks.  Don't have much of a choice, unless we start rounding Red Fish....  Good job ya'll..

Quote from: Christopher on July 21, 2013, 11:17:26 AM
What a beautiful day on the bay.  It was great to see 60 boats out racing again, followed by a large crowd at the clubhouse.  Thanks to the volunteers and the Millers for the 'yachty dogs'  which were obviously good as they were gone in no time.

So, how did you like the new course/mark?

Rum Race 5 (7/20) results:

Cruising Club:
1. Other Woman
2. Baltic Raider
3. farfrumworkin
4. Gremlin
5. Firewater

SOS:
1. Mental Floss
2. Selah
3. Sea Gypsy

Non-spin:
1. Catalina 22 Ella Grace
2. Catalina 22 #296
3. Big D
4. Wheee Dogggie
5. Phoenix

Spin Non-Sprit:
1. Student Driver
2. Parrot Tails
3. Kenai
4. Petite Helene
5. Outrageous

Spin Sprit:
1. Mojo
2. Pingo
3. Stinger
4. Parsons Project
5. J70 #182 (Freight Train)

Series results through the 5th race: Linky
cheers...
Scott

ShakenNotStirred

Rum Race 6 post race party:

"Sailor Stew" provided by the Admiral of s/v Firewater!
2013 Commodore

DollFin

Quote from: ShakenNotStirred on August 09, 2013, 03:47:54 PM
Rum Race 6 post race party:

"Sailor Stew" provided by the Admiral of s/v Firewater!

*In my best Wednesday Addams voice* Is it made with real sailors??  8)

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

Firewater

I talked to the cook and she said talk to cousin it. ;D