Texas Race Week

Started by Jeff K, June 24, 2020, 09:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff K

Tried to register early but there's no phrf spinnaker class, is that the intent?
Who wasn't on the vang?

cmay

Hey Jeff,

Yes, ORC is the only Spin class. PHRF is limited to non-spin, or you could go cruising club Spin.

Best,

Chris

Jeff K

Is that because the ORC class has been so successful in the rum races? Oh well offshore fishing it is that weekend. :o
Who wasn't on the vang?

cmay

Primarily it's to stay consistent with the other races included in the Navy Cup. Otherwise, it's the better rating methodology for the course format.

If you go down fishing, good luck and come hang out after!

Best,

Chris

SteveG

With regatta attendance already low, why change the format and take one of the largest classes out of the regatta?  ORC turnout in the Rum Race series is spotty at best. 

cmay

Thanks Steve,

We appreciate the comments, and it was thoughtfully considered before making any change. The Board discussed before rolling out last year, and decided it was the best route and consistent with the other clubs' Spin classes counting towards the Texas Navy trophy. In reality, the PHRF class had been waning on offshore races in recent years. ORC has been gaining in popularity, both worldwide and locally, so it was felt a good time to change. We honestly have only received positive comments (until now) on the change, and actually think participation in the local offshore races as a whole have increased.

Personally I don't think rum race attendance and offshore races have ever really shared attendance numbers, as a large majority of the rum race participants don't really have an interest in offshore. Admittedly, I was against adding the ORC class for rum races this year as I think PHRF is fine for the more informal races. However, I do honestly feel that ORC is the better methodology for the more competitive offshore random leg and/or point to point racing. It just takes into consideration many more data points, including varying wind speed, and just seems more accurate. That said, I know rating methodologies among sailors are about as contentious as politics so everyone has (and I respect) varying opinions.

If you are interested in getting a certificate, I am happy to help. We do not by any means want to exclude anyone and would love it if you guys came out to play. The process is quite easy, especially for common one designs. 

Chris

SteveG

Chris:

on the GBCA website the Texas Navy Cup is awarded to the winner of the PHRF class.

Texas Navy Cup

Since 1971, awarded annually to the overall winner of the PHRF Texas Offshore Racing Circuit by the Texas Navy. Donated by the State of Texas.  The trophy currently resides at the GBCA Clubhouse and is awarded at the end of Texas Race Week.

cmay

Thanks Steve,

It has been a while since the website was updated. I will take a look at the Deed of Gift to make sure but I do not think it specifically states PHRF given that the cup dates back to the early 70's, and PHRF the early 80's. If memory serves it is something like "most competitive Spinnaker class for the overall combined TORC" (Heald Bank, 3 races of TRW, and HYC Offshore). At least for the last few years that has been a portion, if not all, based on ORC races.

But to your point, we will check and see if the Deed needs to be amended.

Thanks,

Chris

Jeff K

Chris,

I think your thinking of the shoe regatta. Lakewood had to change it from the phrf winner to the their most competitive class because... Also, if memory serves me right, I think it takes a meeting of all the club members to change a deed of gift. 

You guys are the board and can run regattas anyway you see fit because you all are volunteering your time and effort where most will not. It just seems to me your running an ORC agenda by not offering a phrf spinnaker class at a time where sailboat racing is down. cya jeff
Who wasn't on the vang?

Tye Dyed Gary

As someone who served on the GBCA board and was the parliamentarian for another organization, be aware of changing a Deed of Gift procedure. You must document your attempts to contact the sponsor of the DoG for permission to make a change to their DoG, and their response. If you get an OK, to make a change, it then has to go to the membership, in open meeting for approval.   
  If the original person, family member or corporation or their representative is no longer are available, you can make the changes you desire, BUT it still needs to be approved by vote of the full organization membership. The board does not have authority to change a Deed of Gift without membership approval.
  This is not a difficult procedure, it just has to be documented, and then maintained, for reference.

Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

cmay

Thanks Gary,

We checked the Deed and there is no mention of a specific rating methodology, only the races that count toward the Navy Cup.

However, we understand the process.

Best,

Chris

SteveG

Chris:

Have you made any decision about adding the Racing Spinnaker Class?

Steve

cmay

Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately, given the local restrictions in place in Galveston, we are forced to cancel Texas Race Week 2020.

We will have dates out for the 2021 event, and communicate details, soon. We look forward to seeing everyone next June!

Best,

Chris