Was Your Boat Damaged During Rum Race #7

Started by SeaGypsy, September 07, 2020, 08:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaGypsy

I'd like to hear of any significant damage to boats during the blow at the end of Rum Race #7.  I saw one boat pull in at the Blue Marlin with a shredded main, but could not pick out the name.

Strangely, Sea Gypsy's house battery failed shortly after turning on our running lights.  Unrelated to the winds and sea I think, just chose that moment to develop a bad cell.  I was afraid to switch to "combine" on my VSR to drive the lights off the starting battery for fear that the bad battery would draw down the good starting battery or maybe start a fire with power from the alternator.  So that was us shining flashlights in your eyes on the way in the channel to be seen.  I need re-think emergency power to the running lights, navigation systems, bilge pumps, etc for just such an event.  Maybe re-install an old-fashioned "1-2-both-off" battery switch as a bypass to the VSR so either battery could run all services, but isolating the bad battery.

Other boats with issues?

BrianL

That was my boat. We got caught out before we could reef it, and the 40 year old main gave up about half way back. just two of us. But other that that we were fine. Just a bit of a wet ride back.

Brian
SV It'll Do