Clear Creek Channel (Hwy 146) Bridge Clearance

Started by USA74, March 18, 2021, 11:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USA74

Has anyone ever accurately measured air draft on the bridge? Chart height is 73', but is that measured at each side of the channel or dead center of the apex? Does that height include the light that appears to hang down several feet?

Anyone know?

Tye Dyed Gary

The height measurement for any object over water, is the lowest point over navigable water at mean (average) high tide.
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

SeaGypsy

The existing bridge is being widened as you know, and because of the curvature of the road surface to shed rainwater, the completed widened bridge will be slightly lower than originally, but we were assured by TXDOT, RS&H, Webber and USCG that the bridge would still offer 73 ft from MHW, including the lights or anything else that might hang down slightly.  That would be at the center of the spans over the North Channel.  The South Channel in not officially recognized by NOAA, US Army Corps of Engineers or USCG, so I am not sure if that 73 ft air draft applies to it, so if you have a 73 ft mast, I suggest only using the North Channel if possible.  The new bridge appears to be somewhat higher, but, that won't make any difference if you are going under the bridges.

Bill Jenko
Recreational Boater Rep
Lone Star Harbor Safety Committee
S/V Sea Gypsy

USA74

Thanks for the info. Truly appreciated.

I was actually wondering if I could bring something a tiny bit taller into Clear Lake. Technically then, the height of the bridge should be 73+' from either side of the actual channel and from the light that's hanging down. So closer to the apex (avoiding aforementioned light) would be even higher.

So, for example, if the manufacturer stated air draft was 75', then as long I was in the north channel and didn't go directly under that light that's hanging down, I should hypothetically be OK