Electronics Overhaul

Started by Captain John, March 31, 2021, 12:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain John

I have an Oceanis 390 1989 with old electronics that I want to upgrade.  I plan to do some coastal cruising and trip to Bahamas/us Virgins with two person crew.  Looking for recommendations for a new system.  Radar, chart plotter, AIS, battery management, autopilot / wind vance, depth and anything else you recommned.  I want a high value system that is easy to operate.  Don't want to spend a fortune.  What systems would you recommend and what are your recommendations for installation.  Perhaps someone I can consult with for a fee.  I'm looking for someone that can work with me to install it right.  I can do some work with guidance.  Best Regards

Bee

I mostly race my J105 so I don't have a lot of knowledge about long distance sailing.  What I would do is go to West Marine or equivalent and tell them what your objectives are and see what they say. You might also talk to either Alex Crowell at Bahama Rigging or Kevin Hayes at Hayes Rigging.  They certainly know a lot about this.  Good luck. 

Bee

Tye Dyed Gary

I have helped move several boats to different parts of the globe. The most common Navigation Instruments I see on most boats is B&G.
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

Hamburger No 1

Talk to Jim Davis. B&G's can be incompatible with your stated objective of 'not wanting to spend a fortune', but there are different grades of instruments they sell depending on your balance between cost and functionality. Jim can advise you what's out there.

Jeff K

Who wasn't on the vang?