2013 GBCA Junior's Regatta

Started by Christopher, May 31, 2013, 09:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

This regatta is for all skippers less than 18 years old at the time of the event, which will be skippering keel boats of various sizes with any crew.

Here is your chance to take the controls of the boat and bark orders at the adults or your friends.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

NOR: Linky
Registrants List : Linky
Mahalo nui loa

Christopher

Regatta is next Saturday.  Only two registered so far.  Looks like our younger sailors are taking after their elder sailors - waiting until the last week to register.  What's up with that?   ::)
Mahalo nui loa

Christopher

Where are our junior sailors? Still only two registered, we need three to make a class. 
I know of a J80 and a J24 that have been volunteered. 

For clarification of the eligibility statement:
For each race in the Regatta, each boat competing shall be helmed by a junior less than 18 years of age by the day of the regatta, from the warning signal for her class until she has finished. Crews may be of any age.
Mahalo nui loa

hayesrigging

Three entered now!!  If a spin class doesnt form then Mojo will go non spin.

Looking forward to it!!!  I drove Rowdy back in 1987 in this regatta!!

JayZ

Hey All,

This is a great idea but I think a lot of folks just don't know about it or are only just now learning about it.  I will try to get some more Seahorses from LYC to get signed up. I've mentioned it to a few already. 

We have a conflict this weekend with some out of town guests coming in but I'll float the idea out there and see if they are interested in sailing my "furniture boat" around the course.

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Sailchick

Does 3 boats make a regatta?  I hope so! 
GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

Hamburger No 1

One thing to consider for a future event like this would be to avoid overlap with the camps the clubs run around this time of the year. At Lakewood we have one camp finishing and the next one starting on this weekend. Most of our youth is either participating in the camps or coaching/counseling.

Talk to the youth sailing folks at the clubs! They will get the word to the kids! At LYC that's the chair of the Seahorse Committee and the Sailing Director.

BJSailor

Quote from: Hamburger No 1 on June 11, 2013, 08:08:17 PM
One thing to consider for a future event like this would be to avoid overlap with the camps the clubs run around this time of the year. At Lakewood we have one camp finishing and the next one starting on this weekend. Most of our youth is either participating in the camps or coaching/counseling.

Talk to the youth sailing folks at the clubs! They will get the word to the kids! At LYC that's the chair of the Seahorse Committee and the Sailing Director.

Good point!  "If you build it, they will come" worked for Kevin Costner.  But you need to coordinate, especially for youth events.  These days, you can't over publicize and you've got to work with other clubs / organizations just to get the minimum number of boats out to make a break-even event.

I hope this works out.  It's a great idea and we need to do everything we can to get (and keep) younger sailors in the sport. 
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

STuma

Quote from: Hamburger No 1 on June 11, 2013, 08:08:17 PM

The NOR was emailed out to HYC and LYC youth sailing directors. Katrina at HYC verified with me that she sent out the info. I have not received any response from LYC.

With the regatta, and other activities, schedule over-full; finding a spot was difficult. I understand many comments are that "they" don't have a PHRF boat to race, only dinghies. Until we get the youth back into big boats, it will be an uphill battle. I know of a J-24, J-80 & a couple of J-22's that have been offered.

The course length will be short enough to where we can get three races off and not wear them out too much. We might even pause a bit between races for snack time...
cheers...
Scott

Christopher

Mahalo nui loa

Sailaway

Sailchick

I love all of these photos!  Thank you Scott Tuma and the race committee and all of our Junior skipper's for helping to bring back this regatta to GBCA!!!
GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013