Summer Rum Races

Started by Tye Dyed Gary, May 22, 2023, 04:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tye Dyed Gary

Today I, got an email announcing the addition of the ORC class, with an informal skippers meeting on June 1st. While you are making changes to the Rum Races SI's, make one or two more changes. Drop the over and under Square/Sail area for the two PHRF spinnaker classes. Go back to similar spinnakers race against similar spinnakers, ei. A-kites against A-kites and Symmetrical kites against Symmetrical kites. The Rum Races are mostly an off wind race that favors A-kites. And everyone knows the two different types of spinnakers have very different aspect of sail that do not match up well.
  I will give you the over/under sq./sail area was an interesting experiment, but it's time to drop it as it is an unfair advantage to one sail design over the other, depending on the wind direction.

Also, move the start time back. Last year with the later start times, I was not able to do several Rum Races because my finish would be after sunset. My boat does not have lights as many small race boats. It is almost like you don't want us small boat racers out competing.     

May faverable winds fill your sails.   
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

Tye Dyed Gary

I listened in on the informal skippers meeting with the purpose of explaining ORC rating system. I found it very informative, with a serious effort to explain and clarify the ORC rating system. SOO, now please post links to the different web sites that were referenced during discussion.

cmay

Thanks Gary,

See  https://orc.org/

If you go to the "Sailor Services" page, you can set up a log-in for no charge. That is where you have complete access to the database and can search for certificates.

We are working on getting a recording of last night's webinar posted so those that missed can access also.

Best,

Chris

Osprey

How about posting a few bullets on the steps to take to get an Rum Race ORC rating?

pete

Tye Dyed Gary

I would personally rather see the Sailing Instructions. This has always been a nonregistered event so NOR's are not needed. 

pete

Sure, SI's then. Where are those?

STuma

SIs are posted on home page.

We had to work through a few more logistics this year.
cheers...
Scott

cmay

Amendment #1 Posted this morning.

Apologies, but there was a typo in the coordinates for the "Virtual Mark" 2A boundary for the oyster reefs.

The coordinate should read:

- San Leon Oyster Mitigation 2A ”Virtual Mark” (SLOM 2A): N 29o 32.310’ W 094o 56.817’

cmay

Amendment #2 to the SIs just posted.

Only change was to update the list of ORC boats starting times.

B Sailing/Alan Bates

Maybe an email blast to announce Rum Race Amendment #4.
Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.