Rum Race #7

Started by Tye Dyed Gary, September 15, 2023, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tye Dyed Gary

I have registered for RR#7 PHRF Spin. BECAUSE the powers in charge have moved the start times later these past few years, and my boat does Not have lights, I have been forced to forgo some of the races or start an hour or so early. My plan for next week is to start early so I can make it back to the dock before dark. If anyone has an objection to me starting early, PLEASE take it up with the BoD's, they are the ones that have decided to exclude us small boat racers from this series/event by moving the start time, that forces finishes after dark.
  I prorate/adjust my finish time so it is corrected and falls in line with the other racers.

A few years back we had 8 to 10 J-22's doing the Rum Races. Then we were thrown in with the A-Kite boats in a mostly off wind race, and then the times were moved back, finishing us after dark.     
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

STuma

You are welcome to purchase portable running lights for the J-22. I know of one person that stil has the running lights from their J-22; maybe they will loan them to you. Or, I can loan you the running lights I have for my 18' catamaran.

But you are incorrect about the times moving back. In 2018, the start time for RR #6 and #7 was 18:52:25. In 2019, I changed your time to 4:49:41. I personally prefer the later starts because of the heat. The start times did get adjuster this year a bit because we had to lengthen the RR course to avoid a reef that the big boats could hit.

A few years ago when the race boats were grouped together (based on SA/D), do you recall who won the overall? A J-24. 

If you decide to start early, you will be scored OCS.
cheers...
Scott