Clearing of the derelict rigs in Galveston Bay by the General Land Office

Started by Christopher, July 08, 2013, 11:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

I received the following and attached schedule of derelict removal from Galveston Bay by the General Land Office.  Project is moving faster than expected.

Mr. Dees,

I am the project manager for the Galveston Bay Platform Removal Project.  We are currently removing twelve unauthorized and derelict structures from the Bay.  We anticipate completion of all locations by August 30, 2013.  Due to the complexity of the project the exact date for removal of each structure is difficult to determine.  The locations in the North end of the project area should removed by July 21, 2013.  This date may shift due to weather or mechanical issues associated with the structures.  You will see the Pilings remain around the structure to help with hazard identification.  They will be the last thing removed from each location.  Temporary NavAids are being installed on these locations as well. 

I have attached an .xls spread sheet that details the Lat/Long's for each location. 

Please feel free to contact me if I may be of further assistance.

Best regards,

John Mesiroff
Professional Services - Construction Services
Texas General Land Office
Mahalo nui loa

Christopher

Following is response to additional question:   When removing the pilings, will they be removed at the sea floor?  Are you checking to ensure that there are no other underwater obstructions associated with the former structure?  We want to be sure that the submerged hidden dangers are gone.

Mr. Dees,

We appreciate the public support for this project. This is the first project the General Land Office has implemented in the Bay to address these issues so there is a bit of a learning curve.  I am maintaining a contact list of interested parties in the event we conduct future operation for notification purposes. The project should go a little faster now as the contractor has mobilized another set of crane barges and crews to tackle the project.  They are really doing a great job for the State.

Prior to mobilizing for this project we contracted a marine surveying company to shoot side scan sonar and a pipeline survey of the areas.  This allowed us to identify the scope of the project.  The requirement by statute being the removal of any debris out to a distance of 300' from any structure in a 360 degree pattern. We are clearing a minimum area of 350' around each structure.  In several locations we will go out to +/- 500' to remove identified debris.  If we found it on sonar, we are going after it.

Wells and pipelines are regulated by the Texas Rail Road Commission. Platforms are permitted by the Corp of Engineers.  Both agencies have statutes and rules that provide specific minimum requirements for abandonment or removal.  They require that all structures (wells, pipelines and platforms) be permanently removed to a depth of 3' below the mud-line (sea floor).  We will be removing all items encountered to a depth of 15' below the mud-line. We feel this will address any possible long term issues that could arise from subsidence or a natural event.  They should never be seen again.

Please feel free to contact me should you have any additional questions.  I will be leaving Austin today to go out to the project.  I check my email in the evenings however my mobile is the best way to find me. Again, thank you for your interest.

Best regards,
John Mesiroff
Professional Services - Construction Services
Texas General Land Office
Mahalo nui loa