2014 Rum Race Series

Started by Christopher, May 19, 2014, 11:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

We lost our "J" mark, midway through the 2013 series, when the Texas General Land Office started and completed a cleanup of 12 derelict rigs and obstructions in Galveston Bay.  So, we moved the SE corner mark to the South Boaters Cut #8 in the interim, which also shortened the course from 13.3 to 11.2 nm.  Everyone was flexible with the change and appreciated that we could continue the series without disruption.  A few comments and suggestions were provided and we have taken these under consideration in revising the course for 2014.
    - Prefer longer course.
    - South boater cut is too far north and too easy for some boats to fetch in the prevailing SE summer breeze.
    - Drop a floating tetrahedron back near "J".
We have found a new permanent mark that meets all of these requests.  The Department of State Health Services has installed a series of pilings that define a boundary for harvesting shellfish is Galveston Bay (click here for more details).  You may have seen some of these that appear like a fence row, stretching from the "H" rig down to Eagle Point.  We have chosen to use Marker "54"  (see picture attached), which stretches the course back out to 13.4nm and is further south and west without running boats into the beach.  It stands in 10' of water and is located at approximate coordinates: N 29o 30.814' - W 094o 54.963'  (0.82 nm due north of Eagle Point and 0.72 nm SSW of the former ?J?).

SI's are posted and available.  Click here

Note the following changes:
    - M54 with coordinates and associated bearings and distances, replaces J
    - start anchor time of 4:30:00 vs. 4:44:00 - so all boat start time changes by at least 15 minutes.  Confirm your new start time and don't rely on your memory of prior year.

Schedule:
#1     May 31     Standard
#2     June 7      Reverse
#3     June 14    Standard
#4     July 12     Reverse
#5     July 19     Standard
#6     Aug 9       Reverse
#7     Aug 23     Standard
#8     Sept13     Reverse

Bring out your friends and get your buddies to bring out their boats!

Enjoy.
Mahalo nui loa

Deckhand

Just ten days until the first Rum Race on May 31st. Hopefully the weather will be good because the party should be great! Laurie Sapp and Gilbert Garcia ("Escape Hatch") of Gilbert G. Garcia Law Firm are sponsoring your dining pleasure. I have ordered Bratwurst and Italian Sausages from Bay Area Meat Market on Kirby. With all the fixin's and your always favorite beverage, it will be a great ending to the first race of the Rum Race Series. Make sure your Senior Membership is up to date in order to win the overall series award. Be sure to thank Laurie and Gilbert on the water or at the party for their support.
And now a word from our Sponsors:
    The Gilbert G. Garcia Law Firm is a boutique firm, specializing in all juvenile and adult Criminal Defense matters. At The Gilbert G. Garcia Law Firm, our mission is simple: to provide exceptional defense for those accused of a crime. Gilbert aggressively defends adults and juveniles accused of felony and misdemeanor charges including cases related to alcohol, drug, assault, property, theft, probation violations, Early Termination of Probation, Expungements, Order of Non-disclosure and all other types of criminal matters. 
     Gilbert G. Garcia is Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Gilbert?s experience includes Judge Advocate General (JAG) Corps for the United States Army, former Assistant District Attorney, and former Assistant County Attorney. He has managed a private law practice since 1983 and serves as a Special Prosecutor as needed/appointed.
     Gilbert is a proud alumnus of University of Notre Dame the University of Texas Law School. Gilbert is recognized with the distinguished AV Preeminent? Rating by The Martindale-Hubbell? Peer Review Ratings? and is a member of numerous local, state and national legal organizations.
     The Gilbert G. Garcia Law Firm is located on the courthouse square at 220 N. Thompson, Suite 202, Conroe, TX 77301. You can contact The Gilbert G. Garcia Law Firm at 936.756.3333 or visit the website at www.ggglawfirm.com.
GBCA Commodore 2014

tpynckel

A discussion might be in order concerning the dredging out at the second mark tomorrow. Since that can be a charlie foxtrot on any given race it should be doubly interesting with the barges and buoys and pipelines out there, to say nothing about the possible bad weather/low visibility. Anybody been out that way this week? Selah and a couple of other boats were out Monday and chose not to get close to all that hardware but said it was pretty congested. Should the race committee move the mark to the other range marker? Race committee?
Terry
Mental Floss

Deckhand

The following article was put out yesterday by Philp Kropf from TMCA.

TMCA mariners...

Yesterday I received the message below from my USACE contact on the mid-bay dredging project that has been going on since the beginning of the year. This project, which originally supposed to have continued all the way through 2014, has been completed in only half of the allotted time!  Pretty incredible!!!  Do however continue to be cautious in the areas around the Mid-Bay Marsh island, the North Boater Cut, and Five-Mile Cut until all of the dredge pipeline is picked up in the next couple of weeks.

That is the good news! The bad news is that in the next month or so yet another dredging project is going to get underway, and this involves deepening and widening work in both the Bayport and Barbours Cut channels. I have written more about this new project in my column in the June edition of The Texas Mariner newsletter, and that should be posted on the new website very soon. More information will follow as I receive it.

Philip Kropf
TMCA Past Commodore (www.texasmariner.com)
Recreational Boater Rep to the USCG Area Maritime Security Committee (AMSC)
Recreational Boater Rep to the USCG Port Coordination Team (PCT)
Recreational Boater Rep to the Lone Star Harbor Safety Committee (LSHSC) www.lonestarhsc.org
Recreational Boater Rep to the Central Texas Coastal Area Committee (CTCAC) www.ctcac.us
s/v Silhouette
713-598-6454 (c)
pkropf@flash.net

When I was out for the Conundrum May 3rd, there was quite a few items near the Low Range marker. It did not impede our progress, but be aware there may be obstrutions anywhere in the bay. Hopefully the weather will clear by this afternoon. Brats and sausages for the after-race party. Sail fast, sail safe!
Commodore Scotty

GBCA Commodore 2014

Christopher

We've just completed a survey of the course, specifically concerning the dredging activity near the E mark.  We found three equipment barges anchored near E, but no pipes or anything that would block our access to rounding the E mark.  These barges are there in what appears to be a parking/holding station, as no actual dredging activity was visible or in operation.

There are two barges anchored outside the triangle and beyond the E mark, and one barge with rigging anchored inside the triangle near the 'rum' line between E and Kemah 1-2.  There are also four or five yellow 4? barrel anchoring pennants between the Houston ship channel and the second leg.   There have always been a number of obstruction to be found in the bay, now there are a few more near E until the dredging project is completed.  This is a good opportunity to familiarize yourself with the Racing Rules of Sailing as they pertain to Obstructions (RRS Part 2, Section C, RRS 19 and 20).  The barges and barrels are clearly visible and navigable.  

More concerning were two hazards found along the second leg, approximately 0.85nm NNE of the H rig and 0.44nm NW of the yellow rig.  A three inch pipe protruding out of the water angled approximately 30 degrees toward the east (located approximately N 29 34.007? W 094 56.087?); and an orange ball another 100 yards north that is anchored to something (located approximately N 29 34.183? W 094 56.142?).

Reminder that the Rum Race Series is a Corinthian race.  There is no ?race committee? on station to make changes or abandon the race.  Changes could not be possibly be posted and communicated to all, without changing the entire SI?s of marks, courses and starting times.  Participants are reminded of the SI?s rule:  Attention is called to RRS 4: Decision to Race, ?The responsibility for a boat?s decision to participate in a race or to continue racing is hers alone.?

We race rain or shine.  Only an electrical storm or lack of water under the keel keeps the prudent sailor from venturing out.  Obstructions are part of the rules and the game.

Good luck.
Mahalo nui loa

Deckhand

Rum Race 1 is in the books. Not a lot of wind, but a beautiful night. A great party afterwards. Thanks to all who stayed and cleaned up afterwards. A special thanks to Laurie Sapp and Gilbert Garcia of Gilbert Garcia Law Firm for provided the funds for the after-race party. The cake was a special touch and good too! Go Escape Hatch!!
John was out on Tramp and got some pictures. The link is:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157644548636627/.
Rum Race 2 is next weekend and the Into to Racing Seminar in the morning. Check out the website for more info and let's have a good turnout!
GBCA Commodore 2014

Terry Young

Any one have the score for the spin class, could not make the party. Had to make the hour and a half drive back home to Katy Tx. Maybe there will be more wind week, we(Firewater) never gave up, finished 8:59:39!Terry Young

Eric713

Just looked at the photos from Rum Race #1.  I counted 16 Cruiser Class boats at the start.  That's a lot of orange flags.  Hope to see even more next week!

Christopher

Despite the weather guessers predictions of storms and rain, we had a beautiful evening sail for the first Rum Race.  Light breezes threatened to TLE a large portion of the fleet of 40+boats, but most were able to complete the course before the 2100 hours cut off.  This delayed the participants arrival to the after race party of Bratwurst and Italian Sausages and cake sponsored by Laurie Sapp and Gilbert Garcia of Gilbert Garcia Law firm.  GOOD STUFF!!  Thanks to Commodore Scotty for cooking up the meal and to all those who stayed late into the night to clean up afterwards.

#1 Rum Run - May 31 results:

Cruising Club:
1.   Figaro
2.   Lil Bit a Sol
3.   Stellar of Course
4.   Escape Hatch

SOS:
1.   Mental Floss
2.   Selah

Non-Spin:
1.   Cookie Monster
2.   Terrorist
3.   Tanura
4.   HO Leopard
5.   Tenacious

Spin Non-Sprit (**):
1.   Leading Edge
2.   Toccata
3.   Picante
4.   Petite Helene

Spin Sprit:
1.   ONO
2.   Pingo
3.   Cyrano
4.   Parsons Project
5.   Stinger

Reminder:
To score a first place, a boat must both cross the finish line first and record/report the next four finishers (**).
The Houston Ship Channel is an obstruction, boats shall not enter the HSC while racing.

Series results through the 1st race - Click here
Mahalo nui loa

Veljko

Bee

I don't know about how bad your race was, but you guys usually do pretty well an you got to race.  I on the other hand had to stay home and wish.

Thanks for the video.  I expect to be out for at least the ride for Rum 2.  Am not allowed to drive or pull any strings but that does not mean I can't sit.  Will do my best to start my RaceQS so we can see both boats.  Will also have both GoPro's up and hopefully not forget to turn the iNaxX tracker on as well.

Bee

raceQS question

How did you get the start/M54/E marks in raceQS?  The version I have does not seem to allow me to do that.

Bee

K.  Dumb old phart did not see the second link.

Veljko

Quote from: Bee on June 03, 2014, 01:54:29 PM
raceQS question

How did you get the start/M54/E marks in raceQS?  The version I have does not seem to allow me to do that.

You add the marks afterward, on the web track replay page -- click on the "Gear" icon.

Bee

Yeah.  I went and did some reading from the link you posted. If I don't forget to  turn the one on Stinger on we should be able to see both boats on the same map.  I do have a bit of CRS disease so will do my best to remember.