2014 Rum Race Series

Started by Christopher, May 19, 2014, 11:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

Way way cool video.  Amazing to see these boats from on high.  Enjoyed every minute of it.  Thanks a bunch.

Deckhand

And now the pictures https://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157645256638777/. Thanks to the honorary "Fat Brother" Kelley Dees for taking the finish photos while John and I flew Missy. It was a beautiful day on the on the bay! sailsong@swbell.net if you would like the full size photos. The video is too large to email (way bigger than the posted video), but bring a thumb drive and I can load it up next weekend or at Wed Nite Race. After viewing the video I realized that the wind had shifted South and we took out about half of the finish line! Sorry Gold Rush, I will be more aware, I swear!
GBCA Commodore 2014

Bee

Pictures, as usual, are also fabulous.  Thanks Kelley.

Deckhand

Also a big shout out to Denise and Dave Christensen for ordering the pizza and setting up our great after-party. A large fun turnout! Thanks to all that stayed and cleaned up afterwards! Your Board hard at work to serve you. Remember, October we will vote on new Board members, that could be YOU! 8)
GBCA Commodore 2014

George E Cushing

Bee,

Great race! If you had Race Q's on, please post. What chute did you have up on the first leg?

George

Veljko

Here's our RaceQS track from Rum Race 4.

The drone video -- would you upload to YouTube please?

Bee

George:

I did not turn raceQS on.  Always seem to forget.  I also forgot to turn iNavX tracking on. Guess I  drank to much beer by start time.  I will eventually remember to do all of these and set up my video cams as well.  At that point I figure I will have sufficiently jinked Stinger to come in dead last.

As to the race, we hoisted the code zero a few seconds before the start and carried that straight to E, ran the 155 on the second leg to M54, and then switched to  the 110 sq mt back to Kemah 2.  Crew work and tactics was pretty spectacular.  No navigation mistakes, really nice calls on the shifts, and perfect sail changes. All I did was drive.

Deckhand

I will see about youtube. Busy at the moment with renewing Merchant Credentials. I thought I was retired! :P
GBCA Commodore 2014

Christopher

Counted 55 boats sailing in light breeze for the 4th running.  Cool drone taking videos at the end!

#4 Rum Run - July 12 results:

Cruising Club:
1.  Lil Bit a Sol
2.  Stellar of Course
3.  Chiron
4.  Figaro
5.  Other Woman

SOS:
1.  Big D
2.  Selah

Non-Spin:
1.  Phoenix
2.  Tom Foolery
3.  Good News
4.  Shaken not Stirred
5.  Tenacious

Spin Non-Sprit:
1.  Toccata
2.  Mystique
3.  Petit Helen
4.  Millennium Express
5.  Cookie Monster

Spin Sprit:
1.  Stinger
2.  Infinity
3.  ONO
4.  Hamburg
5.  Pingo

Series results through the 4th race - Click here 

Mahalo nui loa

Deckhand

I finally got it on YouTube. I even found some more video of the Orange Class finish (first video and already losing stuff). Make sure you change the "Setting" wheel (bottom right corner) to 720HD. No sound, will have to figure out that next. It is pretty close to the original video. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSS_g_zfua0
GBCA Commodore 2014

BJSailor

That footage from the drone is FRIGIN AMAZING!
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Terry Young

Very cool, I guess the battery?s ran out before we(FireWater) crossed. I guess we need to get faster or the drone needs to get a bigger battery. Terry Y

Bee

Adding sound from iTunes is easy using iMovie on your MAC.  The only real issues is that you cannot use any copyrighted material.  The YouTube masters will suppress it if you do.  I managed to get away with the Andrew Sisters (yeah I know none of you know who that is ) Beer Barrel Polka and a couple others but only because they were 60+ years old.  There used to be some generic stuff in the older iMovie that one could use but that seems to have gone away in my latest OS upgrade.

Sailaway

Being the first time over the water we did not want to run the batteries below 50%.  On the third battery we found it was good to about 40%.  Scott will not let me buy another battery  :(  But one might be coming  ;D

Yea but sail faster!   :-*

Deckhand

Bee, Look at YT again, and voila, music!
GBCA Commodore 2014