Texas Race Week 2014 - July 24-26

Started by ShakenNotStirred, June 04, 2014, 04:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShakenNotStirred

Several have asked me what is going on with Texas Race Week this year, so here is some preliminary info before the NOR is posted.

The format will be similar to last year. That is, day racing out of Galveston, with starts and finishes in the vicinity of HSC 11.
As for the social events, here is what we have so far:
Thursday - burger bar at The Rum Shack on the Seawall (same as last year).
Friday - TBD.  Don't have anything lined up for Friday yet.  Maybe just a happy hour somewhere, and dinner on your own.  Unless a big sponsor comes along.  Still working on that.
Saturday - Awards party at the Texas Seaport Museum and Elissa.  Catered by Bennos.  Entertainment by Andy and the Dreamsicles featuring the Kick-Ass Brass. Beer and open rum bar.

Social tickets will be $35, which gets you into all events including food at the Rum Shack, and food and drinks at the Awards party.

I will be soliciting sponsors, but in the meantime tell your sailmaker, rigger, chandlery, etc. that they should REALLY support this FUN event.

Oh and we have our returning major sponsor again this year... Three Fat Brothers!
Thanks John, Scott, and the other brother from the same mother!
2013 Commodore

Eric713

Has anyone approached Quantum, North, Igloo, Academy, West Marine about sponsoring this event.  Considering we all eventually end up at West Marine....I've got a good buddy who is well connected to sponsorship.  Let me check....fingers crossed...

Christopher

NOR and registration are now available.

NOR: Click here

See who is racing: Click here

SI's: Available at Skippers meeting

Discounted early registration!
Mahalo nui loa

Deckhand

Galveston Yacht Basin has a special rate of $1.50 a foot. Call Stephanie at 409-765-3003 and mention GBCA's Texas Race Week.
GBCA Commodore 2014

JASpithill

Is the Yacht Basin not interested in hosting the Rum & Pool Party that was a highlight of TRW in years past?

Deckhand

GBCA Commodore 2014

Sailchick

Hey Everyone!  You can now buy your TRW event pass online.  Check out the "Events" area on the front page of the website or click on "Racing Calendar/ Events" on the left side of the screen!

http://www.gbca.org/event-1710917
GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

Sailaway

Deckhand

Texas Race Week is only 25 days away, but early registration ends tonight. Save $40 and sign up today. Also get your event tickets. The cost of one event ticket is equal to the Benno's meal alone. This is a great value and will also be great parties. Sign up today! The event venue is:
Thursday night - Rum Shack on Seawall Blvd.  Event pass gets you a drink and burger.
Friday night - Happy Hour at Tsunami Bar on the Strand. Sponsored by C&C Sailmakers! Appetizers and 2 drinks.
Saturday night - Texas Seaport Museum and Tall Ship Elissa.  Event pass gets you free beer, rum and food catered by Benno's!
Live music by Andy and the Dreamsiciles and the Kick-Ass Brass.
Thanks to all of our sponsors for helping to make Texas Race Week and GBCA "The Place to Race". Sign up today!
GBCA Commodore 2014

Stellar of Course

Got signed up just in time to get the discount.

Now we need more Cruising Class boats.

Ron E

ChrisK

July 12, next rum race party, will help get the word out!
Past Commodore, 2010

JASpithill

Has anyone found reasonably priced accommodations for crew on the east end of the island?

Deckhand

The cheapest I have seen is the Scottish Inn on Ferry Rd. (next to the ferry landing...1/2 mile as the crow flies). Expedia (thru tripadvisor) had a room with two queens (4 adults max) for $132 + tax. The number is 409-762-3311.
GBCA Commodore 2014

Sailaway

JASpithill

Have arrangements been made for us to order sandwiches for pickup at the marina as we have in years past?