ISAF Lifeline Rules

Started by gadangit, January 26, 2015, 12:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadangit

If I am reading the current ISAF Offshore Special Regulations 2014-2015 correctly, it appears that high modulus lifelines are no longer allowed for monohulls except Cat 4.  Can anyone elaborate on that?  Reason for change, availability of waiver, etc.  Thanks!
Chris

gadangit

Okay, I kept looking and found ISAF with US Sailing Prescriptions that appears to allow synthetic lifelines for all offshore racing categories.  I'm still uncertain about this, so I'd appreciate anybody who has insight into this subject.
Chris

Maarten

http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/OSR2015AmendmentSheet12012015v2-%5B18222%5D.pdf

Gives the official answer. Still allowed though No "single braided" and "shall be protected from chafe" are the changes in the rule. Also your class may have different rules than ISAF.

gadangit

Hi Maarten-
Thanks for the reply.  Doesn't the right hand column indicate Mo4?  My interpretation of that nomenclature is the rule applies to Monohull Category 4 (only?)  Having ** would indicate all categories.  Perhaps I am not reading this properly.  We are a monohull, and say RTB is Category 3.  HMPE allowed then?

Chris 

Maarten

Indeed I looked at it from a HMR perspective or Heald race. And Mo4 means only 4 and not 3,2,1. HMPE not allowed in the case you mention. Reason is that HMPE requires careful splicing and is susceptable to chafe in the railing posts so for further off shore considered as too much risk. It is what it is and whether this makes sense vis a vis the risk of compromised SS wire is a long debate. Personally from a safety perspective I think that railings can never be trusted and lifelines and tethers are the only way to stay safe.

gadangit

I would hope that the rule change is based on more than splicing and susceptibility to chafing, we'd never leave the dock with that hung around our neck. :)  I'm more interested in an analysis of data collected over the past few years where synthetic has been in use, if in fact that is the reason for the change.
ussailing.org has not posted their amendments to USAF Mo3 with US Prescriptions.  I wonder when that will post.

Chris

gadangit

It is not very often that I am on the bleeding edge, but just posted today is what US Sailing is recommending:  Delay ban on synthetic lifelines until 1 January 2016.  Now what?

http://www.ussailing.org/racing/offshore-big-boats/big-boat-safety-at-sea/

Emmett715

So now I think that the proper thing is to look at the Notice of Race which states:

"The regatta will be governed by The Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS) 2012-2016 including US SAILING Prescriptions, the current Offshore Racing Council (ORC) Special Regulations for monohulls, Category 3 with Life Raft and Special Regulations for multihulls, Category 3 without life raft. Life rafts need not have a canopy or insulated floor, the International Rules for Prevention of Collision at Sea (COLREGS), PHRF of Galveston Bay rules, Race To The Border club handicap and by this Notice of Race and the Sailing Instructions. Race To The Border reserve the right to amend this Notice of Race and Rules by the Sailing Instructions."

Therefore, assuming this prescription overrides the ISAF/ORC Special Regulations (It is not posted yet), HMPE lifelines WILL be legal for 2015 Race to the Border.

I also think that the previous article posted which led to the addition of HMPE lifelines is of value.

https://www.cruisingclub.org/pdfs/sas_lifelines.pdf

Aside from maxis, there has not been a documented case of a burn-through on a smaller boat, specifically a racer/cruiser about 40 feet long.

Eric713

If all this won't cause a headache... What will!!

gadangit

Quote from: Eric713 on January 26, 2015, 05:05:07 PM
If all this won't cause a headache... What will!!

Its all that thinking! 
Practical Sailor is doing a long term test of HMPE lifelines on an Ericson 41.  I guess we are doing our own on an Ericson 39!!
Chris

Tye Dyed Gary

Just a little local history. Footloose a J-27 has had HMPE lifelines since 1997 or 98 (Key West) with no problems. 2014 Chris, replaced them just for general principal. WE raced almost all Wednesday's for 16 years and several bay races as well, I trust the HMPE lifelines more so then some of the stainless ones I,ve  had dealings with.
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

Xavier

In the past for Race To The Border the question about life lines had come up and we made exceptions on boats that provided some certification that the coated life lines were fairly new or they have been inspected by a qualify rigger as to their sea worthiness. The bottom line is simple if the wire is expose and there  is rust, replace it.  Looking forward to another race and bonfire.