2015 Rum Races

Started by Bob H, May 15, 2015, 03:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianL

Wow, great pictures, thank you
and the last on the roll is Windfall. She is a real looker.

Brian

JA

If we are recording boats finishing and they do not have a class flag they do not get counted.  Its just that simple.

LizBiz

Quote from: BrianL on August 23, 2015, 10:10:58 PM
Wow, great pictures, thank you
and the last on the roll is Windfall. She is a real looker.

Brian

And she was a great deal of fun to sail on.

Thank you for letting me crew.

Liz 8)

chris

Are the results posted somewhere for RR 6?

Bee

Quote from: Tye Dyed Gary on August 23, 2015, 04:10:21 PM
Now a thought for the Icicle and next years Rum Races. Have three spinnaker classes. Two A-kites classes, bowsprit and non bowsprit, and one symmetrical w/spin pole. This thought because, non bowsprit and symmetrical kite boats sometimes get lumped together and it takes a while to sort it out. Also if you check out the photos there are a lot of A-kites on non bowsprit boats, and the two different types boats have different handling,(to some point). Anyway it's something to think about.     

First, please define bowsprit for me.  Is that a standard symmetric pole tied down to the deck?  Is it a fixed prod (Cyrano, Spadefoot, Terrorist, ...).  Is it a retractable articulating add on like Capt Midnight had?  Once you decide what your definition is I will have further questions.

Second, this is a very bad idea.  At the moment there are something like 15 sprit boats that dominate the sprit spin class.  Same thing will happen with your non-bow sprit class (once you define that).  Oh, and BTW, the same thing will and also does happen in the non-spin classes.  As soon as you do this the focus will be on splitting the rest of the classes up.  You will wind up with many pursuit classes.  That's PHRF pursuit classes BTW.   Then the recommendation will come that says, let's start them all at different times based on a PHRF rating range.  It will go on and on.

This kind of stuff goes on in the HMR, but there  I understand its one long race every year, it costs quite a bit to do it, a big variety of people show up and more importantly it is not a pursuit start.  An equally bad idea would be to do away with the pursuit start.  I can imagine that.  Sixty or so boats of varying skill and knowledge all showing up on the start line at once.  Yeah that would be fun.

This is a beer can race.  Let it go.

Yogi

I agree that flying your class flag the whole race is important.  As someone who has to try to catch people it is nice to know when you are racing someone in your class.  I also appreciate those who fly good sized flags so that it is very obvious a class flag.  I have been racing orange but next week I may be nonspin or short handed PHRH so I will have to come up with a dark and a white flag.

When I raced catamarans we not only flew different colored ribbons but flew them from different places on the sail.  "A" fleet red from boom, "B" fleet blue from 1st batten and "C" class yellow from second batten.  That gave us two ways to identify a racer.

Bob H

Rum Race #6 Cruising class finish times:

Boat Name       Sail Number   Finish Time
Stellar Of course    133         18:51:05
Royal Crescent      655         18:52:22
Ibis            31456      18:55:00
Ox-Bow         None         18:56:05
Amore          139         18:58:20
Alive and Free      717         18:58:36
Osprey         168         18:58:40
Free on Board      90         19:00:43
Ananda         C40LRC      19:00:50
Sunspot Baby      None         19:03:30
Tri-ed N' True      49         19:05:09
Chloe            792         19:07:03
Renaissance      4398         19:08:09
NY Tost NY Tard      235         19:08:14
Oread         25         19:09:07
Sea Gypsy                  19:09:09
Stardust                  19:14:40
Windfal      l   3275         19:23:30
Dream         33         19:34:03
Starship         1         19:47:00

The ratings for the next race have been adjusted and posted.

shawn

I'm looking at 7-9 ESE did anyone put a request in for wind?  ;)
Shawn
Semi True Story

svShearwater

I see 10-12 out of the SSE, if that makes you feel better...
Life is not a dress rehearsal.

http://www.svshearwater.com

Bee

Sallow seems to say that but I would guess more like 165-170 degrees.  Guess we will have to wait and see.

Eric713

10k SSE is perfectly fine for us!

Bee

Man I can't spell anymore.  That's sallow and now sallow.

BJSailor

Bee, you've been drinking again?
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Bee

GordieK

White flag, sprit boat fleet finishes for AUG 29, 2015
1.  AEOLUS,  J-120. Sail #12039
2.  Terrorist, Sail# 7150
3.  Pingo, Sail #5101
4.  Sade Foot,  Sail# 28339
5.  Airborne,  Sail# 238
6.  Gold Rush, Sail# 75
7.  Stinger,  Sail # 296

During this sequence non-spin Catalina 22 sail 5242 was observed finishing.