Single & Mixed Doubles

Started by gadangit, August 05, 2015, 09:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadangit

I'm assuming that PHRF Spin would be W/L?  What about non-spin?

Chris

Deckhand

The posted NOR states:
Courses
Courses will be distance courses of various lengths around fixed marks; located in that part of Galveston Bay bounded by
The Bayport Ship Channel, The Houston Ship Channel and the shoreline between Red Bluff and San Leon.
GBCA Commodore 2014

gadangit

Well that is rather embarrassing, I must have read past that.  Thanks for pointing that out. 

Chris

Osprey

The registration page for the Divorce Cup states:

"We're sorry, registration for
this event is not open at this time."

I checked the Single's Regatta registration and it is working, so it's not a regattanetwork.com problem.  Any help on the DC?  I can hear it now:  "you said you were going to register", "why didn't you register", "it's all your fault!" ::)

Help...

Osprey

Registration is working, now.  Thanks.

Evan

Well I registered a bit too soon, forgot I had a prior obligation Saturday! Good luck to all competitors! Next year I'm in...

George E Cushing

I am looking at the sailing instructions for Sundays mixed doubles race. I thought M52 was gone. Has it been replaced?

Bee

OK, I am an old man with very few years of good sailing left.  As one of my crew said, an accident waiting to happen., but

Missing mark, thunder indicating boats are within lightening range, winds with gusts to 30 knots, storms on both sides of the Bay, and the race committee asking boats to withdraw if they cannot verify that they rounded the mark? 

Not my idea of great RC work.

Bee

Oh sorry, should have said the missing M52 mark.

Bee

After sleeping on it, I think I was a bit harsh.  I am too much of a scientist I guess. I always worry about lightning when there are storms in the vicinity.  Fundamental rule is "when you can hear thunder, you are in the lightning zone."

I did a pretty fine job of turning my jib into a true "string sail."  The aramid strings were still there but a lot of the mylar now resides at the bottom of the bay.  Going to see if I can make bags out of what is left.

The good news is I manage to make it back to the dock.  Also proved at least to myself that I could still handle the boat alone if required.  Did make one bad decision that resulted in the sail damage.  Won't do that again.

I really appreciate the fact that the RC called Kevin for me.  All the help from Kevin and  the crews of Sirly and Airborne is much appreciated. I am sure I could have gotten  Stinger back in the slip by myself but they made it easy.

GBCA is still the place to race.  GBCA members, volunteers, board, and Flag Officers are the best.  Thanks for all the work.

Deckhand

Photos from the GBCA Singles Saturday.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157656953509268
Photos from the GBCA Mixed Doubles Sunday.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157657362815971
Missy Video from the Mixed Doubles tomorrow.
GBCA Commodore 2014

Deckhand

Forgot to add, if you would like any of the 100% sized pictures send me an email at sailsong@swbell.net. If you would like any of the individual video segments, bring a jump drive to the GBCA Cruzan Rum Race on Saturday (too big to email).
Scotty
GBCA Commodore 2014

Deckhand

Also forgot to post the Missy Video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlaUAU6yD_A . Make sure you change the "wheel" setting to 720HD. Enjoy!
GBCA Commodore 2014