Foul weather gear

Started by ace949, November 08, 2015, 08:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ace949

I am new to sailing and need to purchase fall weather gear. I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions as to a good local merchant (Clear Lake area), and any other helpful things to be mindful of when purchasing foul weather gear.

Thank you.

Maarten

After yesterday this seems an important question. There is no one right answer but this is what I have landed on for myself:

For serious weather and longer time e.g. Saturday and off shore I like Musto BR2. In my long time sailing in temperate climates (North Sea, Maine) and warmer (Galveston Bay, GoM) I am now on my second set. The old one I keep on the boat for guests and for the occasional time I get absolutely soaked and only a wetsuit would have kept me dry. Secret is to take the gear home, use clean water to get the salt off and dry well to avoid mildew. For trousers I do have a bib but prefer the normal trousers as these are easier to go to the head. Get a good pair of boots that you can wear with socks and are not too tight. I prefer the lower boots. To make this all work well you need to get the right layers underneath as well. Lots of choice there for different temperatures. Cotton and wool will make you wet inside the jacket so go for some of the modern materials.

Ok, that's for days like yesterday and a number of the icicle races, the harvest moon and heald regatta. I think that I take this outfit with me maybe 10 times a year in this area (always to Maine, SFO etc). Normally you won't need this and it may even be on the too warm side. I have a lighter Musto jacket, more windbreaker-weight and use the same trousers as above or sometimes just wear shorts and shoes most of the times. Not so bulky to pack and also good just as a windbreaker at the end of a nice day. If you want to go a bit more on the budget side I would start with a light combination with some good layers underneath for galveston bay day sailing and regattas rather than the heavy weather stuff. If you are going to crew and sit a lot on the rail get trousers that are strong in the bottom and maybe even slightly padded for obvious reasons.

Do not save on a good pfd (life vest) I have the spinlock vest which is very comfortable to wear. I would say that this is more important than spending money on the heavy weather gear unless you will be going off shore. While you buy that also get a tether because in the end it is better to stay on the boat than knowing you will float. Even though the water is never that cold it can take a while before you are picked up. On a budget then just go for the simpler pfd from mustang or any other brand that is coast guard approved (by the way the spinlock is european, they didn't go for the coastguard approval but they are better than most. To comply the skipper of the boat you sail on needs to have the approved ones for the full crew which he will have normally and if not I'd not your responsibility as crew member, IMHO).

Lastly go into the photo link of past races of gbca and look what people are wearing on bad days as well as on my website www.maartenvanhasselt.com.

Where to buy. Not much choice here. The largest store is Westmarine in Kemah and a little bit further out is Blackburn Marine. Most choice is westmarine and you can try stuff on and get some advice as some of their staff sail themselves and know what they are talking about. You can also buy on line once you know size etc. Don't buy too small as it will get in the way when moving around.

Welcome to sailing on the bay...I can guarantee you that you will mostly be wearing shorts, a polo, lots of sunscreen, a hat and very good sunglasses!

Bee

KOSAILING, close to the entrance to LYC on NASA Parkway, also has this kind of gear.  See LeighAnn Hawbolt.

STuma

This is a tough one... There are so many options. This will mainly depend on the type of boat you are sailing on and what type of sailing you want to do; and your budget... As you probably know, the boat's vary from a J-22 to a J-44 on the bay; and 20 to 100 degrees. From this question, I am assuming you may be new to racing. West Marine does have a large variety that you can try on and put your hands on, but Leigh Ann at KO can help guide you in the proper direction (she has a lot of quality experience). I feel KO will have higher quality gear.

Maybe this discussion can turn to people chime in on what gear they have...

My set includes :Line 7 bibs, Musto BR2 jacket, fair quality boots, neoprene gloves, Zhik shoes, inshore jacket, spray top, custom knee length bibs (for spring/fall), variety of thick gloves, assortment of warm hats, goggles and a dinghy style life jacket.

I have gear to sail in the Bay and offshore in 20 degrees temperature and 30+ knots of wind. I use a "rigid" life jacket and a separate harness for offshore. I, personally, don't trust an inflatable harness to save my life (and I know many people will state they have never had an issue, and I understand; it's just my background). I agree with Maarten by investing in a good comfortable life jacket. If you are comfortable with it, you will wear it more often. I have had a couple of experiences with people falling overboard in the bay and in one case it did not turn out well. KO Sailing will have some in stock. Feel free to talk to people and ask to try theirs on. What I like is a bit different because of my catamaran background and some people do not like it. If you have the budget and plan on racing during the winter, I would suggest finding a jacket that has a fleece liner that zips inside. I also agree with washing out the gear with water every time. My Line 7 bibs are 26 years old.
cheers...
Scott

KeithMag

Buy the best stuff... MUSTO MPX for offshore is essential.  Do not go cheap.

Maarten

I did forget KO Sailing. Indeed a very good option as well.

Fact is that with all the areas where I sailed this has been both the hottest and the coldest place because we sail all year round. Gloves that keep your hands dry are definitely an omission in my earlier list.

If you read Hiscock "Cruising at Sea" from the 50s we are now spoiled for choice: he explains how to re-oil oilskins...!

Bee

I generally think in terms of layers and gear that goes from light to heavy. You will need some light weight rain gear as well as some heavy stuff (bibs) for the nastier weather.  I agree with all the statements above.  If you are ever going offshore on any kind of wet boat (J105) you will want gear that is as water-proof as possible.  Oilies (really old stuff but I still see them on occasion) are water-proof but extremely uncomfortable because they do not breath.  Make sure what you get breaths. I tend to like Henry Lloyd because of how well it fits my fat old body, but I also agree that Leigh Ann will steer you in the right direction on these purchases. You should check out Gill, Musto, Slam, and others to find the brand that fits you best.  Then get light and heavy weather sets.

In my case, for warmer weather, I have a pair of Henry Lloyd water proof pants coupled to a Gill jacket. I also have a pair of Gill equivalent but for me the Lloyds are more comfortable.  Charles Broaddus sicked me onto a Rust Oleum spray, available at Home Depot,  to keep them water proof.  When its warm and wet, I wear this over the usual shorts (also Henry Lloyd) and some kind of dry shirt. Russell is good for this, but there are many choices. As the weather gets colder, but before its too cold, I simply increase the layers under the water-proof covers. 

When the wind really blows and its in the "I wish I was at home with a hot cup of coffee" range, I switch to my West Marine bibs coupled to a heavier jacket then the Gill.  As the temperature drops I just increase the layers.  I do not recommend the West Marine bibs.  I bought them when I first started sailing and just have never replaced them.  Will need to do that soon and so will be in the same situation as you are now.

For PFD I have two sets of SOSpenders (West Marine again) with a crotch strap.  The strap keeps you from falling out of the jacket in the event you ever do hit the water.  One is manual and the other automatic.  I have never had any trouble with either one.  I would also recommend that you purchase a strobe light (automatic or manual) to attach to the PFD.  Its amazingly difficult to see a head in the water even when its close.  The strobe increases the chance that you can be found.  In addition I carry a small water proof LED light for backup.

As you get into sailing you will figure out what you need and what's comfortable, but again worry about quality and not cost on all of this.

WildRover

Agreed...Musto MPX.  Goretex.  Machine washable.  spend the money, never be wet again.

Maarten

This is going to be the "all you ever wanted to know about not getting wet post".

The Spinlocks have a light incorporated as well as the crotch-straps. Do participate in a MOB drill and do it with nice weather when you can use a real person to practice on. The point it drives home is: "don't fall overboard". I am tempted to buy one of the small transponders that send out AIS signals but that requires the yacht you sail on having the receiver.

In the staying on board area: don't skimp on shoes/boots, make sure these are slip proof. Over time the anti slip profile wears off.

I hope we didn't scare you off with all this gear. Again May-October on the Bay you will only need light stuff. 

JayZ

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

shawn

West marine has foul weather gear on sale for black Friday 99. Third reef
I'm going to check it out
Shawn
Semi True Story