2016 Performance Cup

Started by Bob H, February 14, 2016, 10:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayesrigging

Brian I agree.  In many cases the size of boat and rating go hand in hand but there are some cases where boat type should over rule the rating in determining the class splits.  I think the Ben 25 not being able to race in a w/l class this weekend is the start of a big problem that we have.  This is the premiere GBCA w/l race of the year and the Ben 25 is no doubt a race boat.  They wanted to race w/l and were automatically put in the distance class cause they are an aftermarket sprit. 

I believe until we hear from more boat owners or regatta organizers on this topic I am afraid nothing is changing. 

In the conundrum maybe Psyched will be in the "symmetrical home built class"?

Bee

While I pretty much agree with Kevin's and similar statements, as a factory sprit boat owner, I really don't care where you put Stinger.  I just want to sail as much as I can.  As you guys know I enter just about everything. I win some and I lose some. I may not be all that good at it but I definitely like to win and I am pretty sure that is a universal sentiment.  I do believe the main reason these various "classes" were created was to increase participation by increasing the chances for successful participation by more boats.  When a hand full of boats consistently win at the expense of the rest of the fleet its easy for some to get discouraged and drop out.  I am aware of at least one OD fleet that saw diminished participation because one or two boats always dominated everything.   I guess I advocate erring on the side of doing whatever we can to increase participation.  We may have gone too far here, but its fairly early in the game.

Quote from: hayesrigging on March 22, 2016, 09:24:38 PM
Brian I agree.  In many cases the size of boat and rating go hand in hand but there are some cases where boat type should over rule the rating in determining the class splits.  I think the Ben 25 not being able to race in a w/l class this weekend is the start of a big problem that we have.  This is the premiere GBCA w/l race of the year and the Ben 25 is no doubt a race boat.  They wanted to race w/l and were automatically put in the distance class cause they are an aftermarket sprit. 

I believe until we hear from more boat owners or regatta organizers on this topic I am afraid nothing is changing. 

BJSailor

Quote from: hayesrigging on March 22, 2016, 09:24:38 PM

I'd be interested in what owners / racers / crew / peanut-gallery think about forming classes with boat size as well as handicap in mind. 

What's the prevailing opinions on mixing sprit boats with pole boats (I'm not EVEN going near the factory-after-market-owner-installed-semi-sprit-thing) of similar size and handicap?

There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Bee

I do not have a clue as to how to even try to make a decent recommendation.  Its just too complicated. The technological differences are too great. Hull shapes are different and so are rig designs.  Even the current Kites on Stinger are a far cry from the original designs.

The only thing I have observed is that a lot of symmetric boats have converted to and are flying A-kites with or without sprits.  I can tell you that when we started racing Stinger, we couldn't beat a well paddled rowboat.  I think we have learned a lot over the years, but we are still far from perfect.  I suspect the "converters" will have a similar learning curve.

It probably would be reasonable to form classes based on similar boat sizes and PHRF numbers, but exactly what does that mean.  Is if fair to put a 36', 9000# J111 in the same class as a much older 36' 36,000# symmetric?  I wish I knew.

Rather then try to make all these boats fit a single PHRF number based on a lot of guess work, we might be much better off to move toward something like ORC and use it as fairly as we can. At least ORC is based on a possibly more accurate VPP.

Quote from: BJSailor on March 24, 2016, 09:36:46 AM

I'd be interested in what owners / racers / crew / peanut-gallery think about forming classes with boat size as well as handicap in mind. 

What's the prevailing opinions on mixing sprit boats with pole boats (I'm not EVEN going near the factory-after-market-owner-installed-semi-sprit-thing) of similar size and handicap?